Purchasing 2nd 3G iPhone from At&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Requiems, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Requiems macrumors newbie

I broke, or I should say drowned, my iPhone 3G a couple of months ago, after having purchased it in October of 2008. Naturally the water sensors all went off, thereby voiding my warranty/Apple Care. At&t informed me that purchasing at *second* iPhone costs $400 (they said a third would be $600).

I realize that Apple somewhat recently came out with a policy of $200 for a water-damaged phone, however in light of recent news, is this still my best option?

That is, when the new iPhone comes out in a week, if I go into At&t will it still cost me $400, even for an 8GB? I'm definitely not a 'new customer', and if I go to upgrade options at wireless.att.com it says my upgrade and early upgrade dates are in June of 2010 and it lists the price ("Your price*") of a 8GB 3G as $299.

What are your recommendations? And are their any known ways to circumvent this system? I am willing to wait a bit, but probably not until June of 2010.

Thanks guys.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

$400 is the early upgrade price. I got that on my line, and I think every customer can get that after a year of service with AT&T. It doesn't reset your eligibility for future upgrades either.

3. Requiems thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks uberamd, but that would still not be a better option than swapping out my water damaged phone, I don't think.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Your cheapest option is to do the Out of Warranty Exchange of your "water damaged" iPhone 3G for the $199 price.

Dave

5. Requiems thread starter macrumors newbie

Right... and I'm assuming that they will replace my black 3G 8GB with a black 3G 8GB even if I wait a good deal of time, right?

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

Correct, you will only be able to exchange for the same color/storage iPhone 3G. I would not suggest you wait an extented period of time. The Out of Warranty plan was change to include water damaged phones just last month and it could change again at any time. It is not a "Forever" deal.

Dave

7. Requiems thread starter macrumors newbie

New Idea

Why would the following not work?:

1. Swap out water damaged iPhone through Apple's Out of Warranty program for $200, thereby gaining a replacement of my previous model, a Black 8GB iPhone 3G, with the same model (refurbished according the Apple's site)

2. Sell that refurbished iPhone for some amount... $300+?

3. Go into At&t and buy a new 3G S for $400

This is predicated on the assumption that there is little to no communication between Apple and At&t in matters such as these. Is this a false assumption?

Other reasons this will not work?

Also how does one go about the process of the swap out? Do I just call them? I can't find much information on how to proceed.