Purchasing 4GB RAM from Apple OR upgrading yourself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tamasi, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tamasi macrumors member

What would you guys suggest to do? I guess this is a pretty comon issue to those purchasing a new MBP? I'm not very computersavvy when it comes to RAM though..

My question is threefold;

1) Paying 360 euro's to Apple to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb seems really expensive.. Is it cheaper and most importantly "better" to "do-it-yourself"? (I don't prefer a cheaper option if that implies getting less!)
    If so, where/how would you suggest to purchase it myself?

2) MBPs standardly come with 2x2gb (i.e. 4gb in total) of RAM. If you want to upgrade this to 8gb yourself, do you have to purchase 2 times 4gb, or does 1 time 4 gb suffice? (in other words, can you put 2 times 2gb PLUS 1 time 4gb in one MacBook Pro?? Or can you only fit a maximum of two modules (i.e. 2x4gb) in there??)

3) Finally, could I just take a 4gb RAM module out of my old (Windows)notebook and put it in a MacBook Pro? Or are there some requirements as to what RAM modules you can put in a MBP?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's generally cheaper to buy it yourself, but I don't know what the equivalent of newegg is in Europe.

There are only two slots, so you need to buy 2x4GB if you want 8 GB.

Probably not, but I don't know what kind of RAM is in your Windows machine.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Never ever ever ever ever ever buy it from Apple. Their RAM upgrade price is criminal. 8GB of RAM can be had currently for less than $100 US.

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i agree with the guy above. always buy the upgrades outside of apple just buy the stuff you cant upgrade like cpu, screen size at apple :p

7. Tamasi thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, thanks for your swift replies.

Any suggestions as to what RAM to get and where? (again, I prefer quality/performance over a cheap price)

When I open up my old machine it reads "1.5v DDR3 rev" and "foxconn". It's a Sony vaio VGN-Z590 from 2008 with two 4gb RAM modules. Yet, unfortunately the motherbord died so I can't turn it on to try and look under system hardware or something to see what kind of RAM it exactly is..

Do you think these two 4gb RAM modules would work in a MBP? Would trying be dangerous? And also, are there RAM modules out there that would perform better than these "1.5v DDR3" things?

Thanks a lot in advance for your insights!

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

We'd need a little more info on the ram to tell you if it's the correct type. But if you just stick it in and try it you'll know for sure.

If it fits and the computer boots up and acts fine, you have the correct RAM. If it boots but acts wonky, it isn't. And if it doesn't even boot, well, forget it.

Try it, unless you try and break the machine in half, you can't break anything if you do.

9. Tamasi thread starter macrumors member

If it fits and the computer boots up and acts fine as you put it, does that automatically imply that there are no other RAM modules out there that would make the MBP perform better? (in other words, can there be performance difference between 2x4gb of DDR3 RAM from different brands??)

10. croooow, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Not only is it much cheaper to buy the RAM on your own, it is very easy to replace:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-RAM/3032/1 (This is the latest 15" MBP, you may want to find the page for your MBP if it's a different model, click on "Back to device" toward the top left of the page)

Remove 10 screws from the bottom, pull the cover off and the RAM is right there. You could have it done in less than 5 minutes, but you may want to take your time and be very careful, so more like 10 minutes :D

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Very little practical difference in major brand modules so just go for it and sell the rest of the sonly for parts.

Cheers,

13. elhungarian macrumors regular

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

No. According to their tech specs, the Mac Pro (desktop) uses ECC RAM, but the Macbook Pros do not.

15. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

One additional point: it is very important to use decent quality tools when you're dealing with tiny screws such as the ones on the bottom of a Macbook.

For RAM only, you'll need a #00 Phillips driver. Add a #6 Torx driver for the hard drive.

No need to mail order the tools if you have a Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack, ACE Hardware, or other decent tool or DIY store you can get to.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Can you post a link please? I'm considering upgrading.

18. alt macrumors regular

19. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Does it break apple's warranty if you upgrade ram on a uMBP?

20. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

No, but keep the old RAM. If you have issues and take it to Apple the new RAM is not covered, so it would be best to put the old RAM back before taking/sending it to Apple for warranty repairs.

Apple even tells you how to do it:

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270