Purchasing 500GB Time Capsule from friend...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Habitus, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

I'm getting a 500GB Time Capsule from a friend at work (he is purchasing the new 2TB TC) for $50.

What is the consensus? Does anyone have helpful tips and tricks?

I have a 1TB external drive, is it possible to add the drive to the TC via the USB and extend the capacity, or does it appear as a different drive? Can you configure Time Machine with the external drive and use it wirelessly?

I have a 13" 2.26 GHz MBP

Thanks for the help :)

-Habitus

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Great deal for you.

Whether you can attach a USB drive depends on the model of TC. Some of the older models might not support USB drives.

If it does support USB drives, any USB drive formatted in HFS+ will work. It will appear as a separate drive to the TC's internal drive.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

geoffreak, I think you're thinking of the AEBS. The first gen TC (which I own) has the ability to share HDDs and printers.

Habitus, geoffreak is correct with his second point. It will have to be formatted HFS+ and it will appear as a separate drive. To add, it can't increase the capacity of the internal drive, and it will be able to be used as a Time Machine backup volume (target disk). Also, it's fairly easy to upgrade the internal drive to a larger capacity drive, but that requires you to open it up and manually swap the drives. I'd usually include a warning about voiding warranties, but seeing as you're buying it second hand chances are good that the warranty is no longer in effect.

4. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the update! I'm glad I can use my hard drive and add it to the TC. This is definitely exciting.

I can add a Hub and connect both a external drive and a printer, right?

As for upgrading the TC internal drive, are the drives similar to notebook 2.5" internal drives?

Thanks guys!

Habitus

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yes, you can add a USB hub.

The TC uses a 3.5" internal drive.