Purchasing a 15" MBP from ebay...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by switchover101, Jun 22, 2009.

1. switchover101 macrumors newbie

I want to purchase a 15" MBP, and I prefer the unibody MBP's before this last refresh (Pre-WWDC), and since the Apple Store no longer carries them, would purchasing one on ebay be a bad idea?

I know the inherent risk of buying an expensive computer on ebay, but would there be an issue with the warranty on a brand new MBP?

I've also heard if you buy from the Apple store you have a 14 day return period, and I'm guessing that wouldn't be in effect if I bought one brand new factory sealed off an ebay seller?

Thanks for your help in advance

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

3. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have looked at the refurbished store, and I would have to spend almost $250 more after tax to get the same 2.66ghz model, but refurbished lol.

I know the 2.53ghz refurbished model is more cost efficient, but I do a lot of audio recording, and every little bit counts when working with lots of plug-ins.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

yes, it's a bit more expensive but you get 1 year warranty and by chance a new one ..

my last 2 imac's (refurb) were NEW; no "R" in the serial number.

but on ebay you also can get what you want, it depense just more on "luck" ..

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

In my opinion, an extra $250 is worth the extra peace of mind...

Good luck in whatever decision you make!

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You just have to be more careful on Ebay and purchase from someone with hundreds or thousands of transactions of similar products. I would rather pay a bit more for someone with a deeper and longer history than someone with 70 feedback even though its 100% positive.

Matter of fact, I bought mine from Ebay, but picked up in person. It was brand new sealed.

You just have to make sure that the seller is similar items. Meaning that if he was selling a high price item but most of his other sales are phone cases and chargers, you might want to avoid.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with all of the previous posts; I recommend spending an extra $250 for the peace of mind that comes with a purchase made in a reputable store, complete with warranty. Personally, I'd never touch eBay if I were to buy something of that nature; yes, I know that there are success stories, but tales of horror and scamming also abound. My recommendation would be to go with Apple's refurb models - they offer great value, are individually tested, basically are as good as new and they come with Apple's warranty.

Cheers and good luck

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You already going to spend $1500 and you want to start cheaping out now, its better getting from apple or macmall i hear alot of good thing from them