Purchasing a G4 [ animation student ]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Omoi, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Omoi macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone. :)

I just registered to this forum but I have been having this die hard question stuck in my head for the past few days.

Now Ive been using mostly PC's for the last 10 years, not to happy with it though mind you. I want to switch to mac but there are a few problems.

I currently live in Turkey, and apple merchandise are twice as expensive, I have no chance of getting something from outside the country.

The new Macbook Pro's are really expensive here. The thing is I am currently studying 2d and 3d aniamtion in University. I need a machine that will allow me to use Maya. After some research I found out that the latest maya [v8. and 2008] isnt G4 friendly, but I shouldnt be having problems using Maya 7. But Im not sure if taking a step back is a good idea either.

I noticed that the G4 powerbooks are now pretty cheap in Turkey, almost something I can afford. Is it worth it ?

Thanks in advanced. :)

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Assuming portability isn't a big concern, personally I would look at the G5 towers. Even an old single processor G5 would probably blow the PowerBook G4's away, and the graphics cards are no comparison.

3. Omoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly portability is a deep concern, at some points I stay at one place for a long time, but often I have to move around alot. [ city to city ]

Im thinking of purchasing the 1.6 ghz, 15. inch model. Even If I dont get the G4 I have to choose a laptop.

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Are you planning on keeping the G4 a long time?

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would try and get a older Macbook Pro the G4's are too old.

6. Omoi thread starter macrumors newbie

2 Years.

The first thing I am going to do if I pruchase the g4 is to upgrade the ram to 2gb.

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hmm Well dude, its tough.
    Best bet would be to just get a decent Windows Laptop, and while you're in University, start a fund for a Macbook Pro.
    It's not worth getting an old computer that dosen't suit your needs just because it's a mac.
    Don't settle for Maya 7, when you can have a nice decent PC that will work with the latest version.
    In the end its for the betterment of your education, don't settle for less.

8. Omoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful replys. :)

Looks like Ill be giving up on the idea of pruchasing as G4.

Right now it seems like a slim chance but Im going to look for any chances in getting a macbook pro from the states. My current budget is $ 1,500. The lower end macbook pro's were around 2,000 if I remember correctly. In Turkey the low end macbook pro cost $ 4,000. Pretty scary if you ask me.

I mşght as well ask my other question in this thread, since the g5 work with a intel processor it can run windows. Im not talking about running windows while leopard is running, Im talikng about it like it was a pc. Is this how it is ? Or is a secondary program required for windows to work on a g5 ? Ive been searching through the net but all I see are programs [ emulators ] that let windows work while osx is running. If its how I think it is, when I start up the system it will ask if I want to boot with windows or osx, and when using windows Ill be able to use any program that would normally work best with windows, right ?

If thats the case I would also install a windows [ if possible windowsxp ] and use it only when I have to work on maya.

Sorry for the extremley nooby questions but I want to be a completley sure before I make my move.

9. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Windows only works on Intel Macs. Windows works just as it would on a PC, the only program you need to use (and it's included with leopard) is called Bootcamp, which would help you install Windows on your mac.
    I personally use Windows on my Macbook, and it runs awsome :).
    Unfortunately Windows does NOT run on G4 or G5 apple computer.
    The only time it would work on a G4 or a G5 would be if you used Microsoft's Virtual PC, but it runs horribly and you would never want to use it, do not buy a G4 or G5 if you plan on using windows.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

As others have said, forget the Mac and get a PC. You'll get a much better value for your money, and the tech you need to succeed in school!