Purchasing a mac from a friend - he does not have CD's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stofferdk, Aug 14, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Hi there,

I am with a friend now, he is selling me his 1st gen MacBook White which came with Tiger preinstalled. He lost the discs, and only have the new leopard discs which came with his new alu mac. The whitebook says the OS cannot be installed from his leopard discs.

So what do I do? How to I make this whitebook look fresh? In all reality, I just need my name on it, and a seemingly empty harddisk - I don't mind if his data is still on. It must just seem empy, so my own data eventually can overwrite his.

What we have:

Whitebook, Tiger generation with Leopard currently installed. (No discs)
    iMac Leopard generation discs
    Alubook leopard generation discs

what can I do?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Tell your "friend" to call Apple and get replacement DVD's for the Macbook.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Apple and order the replacement Tiger discs or buy the Leopard retail disc.

4. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

so stupid he lost his discs - well I guess its not really fair to install leopard from the other discs anyway.

thanks - but any suggestions on how to do this without CD's. I just need the OS to look fresh. Since we are friends it doesn't really matter that his data is on

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

His discs cannot work with your macbook. The only options you have is either buy Tiger or buy Leopard.

Without cds is just not possible.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

All you really need to do is create a new user (make sure its admin) then delete the other users. All of that is done in system preferences>accounts.

It should put the old user files in a folder and you can put that in the trash and then do a secure trash empty.

I'd still have your friend order replacement Tiger DVDs or you need to buy SL or Leopard to get correct DVDs for your macbook.