Purchasing a Mac Pro but not sure which one...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by airwolfheli, Apr 17, 2011.

1. airwolfheli macrumors newbie

Hey everybody, I'm in the market for a Mac Pro. I do allot of 3D animation rendering so it's incredibly processor intensive but I have only $2,300 to spend on it. Which means, I have to do allot of research as to which one is the fastest at that speed and I could always upgrade my ram and video cards at a different time. I want the bulk of the money to go towards the fastest Mac Pro I can afford that works great for intense rendering. Some of my 3D animations are over 3000 frames. Anyway, I've seen the cinebench test and it looks like the 4-core 2.8GHZ 2010 model is the slowest of them all. I was wondering, would you recoemmend that I get one off of Ebay? I have my eye on the 3.2GHZ 2008 machine and, if affordable, the 2.26 2009 machine which seems to be really fast. What is your opinion? I also compose music so I run allot of plugins, virtual instruments and sometimes over a hundred audio tracks at once. In other words, I push that processor to the limit!!! LOL

2. simsaladimbamba

What application do you use to render those frames? Is that application multi-core and multi-thread compatible?

3. airwolfheli thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Lightwave 9.6 and perhaps Lightwave 10 in the near future. I use Digital Performer 7 and allot of virtual instruments with high processing effects. I am also getting Final Cut X when it comes out in June. It's hard to know with cinibench what they are using to get the speed performance they are getting. I also heard a guy from Newtek tell me that the xx55 computers are much faster with radiosity in the 3D then the xx53 and xx54s from 2008 and 2009. I'm just so confused but so in need of a fast computer for my business.