Purchasing a Macbook Pro with the help of a friend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gumfishy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. gumfishy macrumors newbie

My friend has agreed to help me buy a Macbook Pro to get a student discount. When I place an order on the Apple Online Store, can I use my Apple ID or should I make one by my friend's name? Does the name on the bill have to be my friend's name? I'm paying for this using my own creditcard and they must be sent to my house.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you use his student ID to order it, that is fraud.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No matter how you do it you are violating Apple's restrictions for the Edu Discount.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

He's not the first one though. Many people buys from edu store but are not even eligible.

Make ID with your friends name etc and you'll be fine. If someone asks how did you get it, you can say that it was a birthday gift etc...

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This is dishonest. Cheating, fraud, scam, whatever you choose to call it.

Apple goes by the honor system and some people are too cheap to abide by it. If you chose to do this, you are basically telling us you are worth $200. That's cheap.

6. rossagrant macrumors member

I think we need to give this guy a break! I know lots of people who do this and anyone who says that they wouldn't like to save a few hundred dollars in this current financial climate is lying! Not sure how the student online store works but if you are buying from an Apple store on the street then they just require someone with you to have ID. It should still all be able to go through in your name with any AppleCare registered to you.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Doesn't make fraud right, or legal.

Read the fine print, IIRC, Apple can charge you the difference if they can't verify your ID.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I disagree with the tone that SnowLeopard2008 used, but this forum cannot be used as how to explain how to commit fraud. Sure when people are like "I don't have to pay tax on Amazon..." I remind people that they are legally required to pay tax, but I don't tell people they are going to hell if they do not. This is a place for information and we try to keep things as legal and ethical as possible, I can think of a couple of ways that the OP could use to get the discount, but I am not here to support theft.

9. thleeal macrumors regular

off your high horse people

and how honorable would apple be if it were profitable to treat customers like rubbish.

OP use his account and pay on your adress, you could easily be a parent/step parent. you could be the toyboy of his mother buying him a gift. there are a million reasons to buy as a student, the discount is one of them, ps BUY the APPLE CARE, its 50£ here in the uk.

15% is not peanuts people are watching the pennys.

if apple can afford to charge me 15% less one year and 15% more the next year, how honerable is that!!!

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The phrasing was incorrect, this forum is not the "How To Screw Apple Over" forums. The whole, 15 percent off the bottom line doesn't matter logic is ridiculous. If Apple was interested in charity, they would be a non-profit.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Education store Terms and Conditions:

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How about if his friend buy the Mac with his own Apple ID, credit card, ships it his own house and then "sells" it to his friend? It's not illegal to sell a Mac, isn't it?

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They do not specify a time for ownership before one can sell, however, they do specify that the computer is to be used for educational purposes by the purchaser.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But wouldn't that mean purchaser could only use it for homework and other school stuff? ;) Literally I mean.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes. I mean iThink the OP got what he/she wanted.

16. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

just buy it from the apple online store, they rarely check. and if they do you not going to apple prison :rolleyes:

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you'll just receive a charge on the credit card for the difference, or a bill (if you don't pay by credit card).

18. Cybbe macrumors 6502

I really don't think Apple looks to carefully into the information you provide. I also don't believe they routinely audit purchases after you have bought your machine (yes, I saw the post that quoted the terms and conditions). If they do it's rare, and I have yet to hear stories of anyone caught abusing the discount. I believe they use your IP to see confirm your student status if you buy online, and that's it. I recently purchased a new laptop and iPhone Touch over the phone (due to a localization request), and the only proof of my student status was the guy asking what university I went too. Granted, it was a legit purchase, but no check was carried out (and I didn't use my student email).

19. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have bought 6 macs and several iPods (back when they still gave edu discounts on iPods) under the education discount and of the total of 11 purchases, three were audited and I had to send stuff in to Apple each time.

It is actually fairly common that they contact you for proof.

20. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i bought 11 mac minis for office under the student discount, and none of them were audited.

Its actually fairly uncommon that they contact you for proof.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This is one of the reasons they don't offer student discounts on iPods anymore.