Purchasing a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elsandor, May 4, 2011.

1. elsandor macrumors newbie

Hello,

A few days ago I made a topic, because I needed some advice on what to do with my regular setup, and which way to go (MBP+ACD or iMac+MBA). I already own a MBA and an ACD, so it means I would have to sell on of those anyway.

Now I was about to order the 15 inch MBP with the 2.2 GHz i7, and sell my MBA. That way I would get 15 inch MBP + ACD to work at home. Was just thinking about another option, that is buying the 17 inch MBP, and selling both my ACD and MBA. But that would leave me with a laptop screen to work from at home. Anybody got some experience with that? I would be using the 17 inch in an mStand, with external keyboard and mouse.

Or do you advice me to stick to my ACD, and go for the 15 inch?

2. FOX160 macrumors regular

My set up is an 13 inch i5 base model and I use the Samsung SyncMaster 23333 HD TV/Monitor and a Lacie 1TB rugged external hard drive.

Dont know if that helps?

3. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I like your first options better. They give you the greatest flexibility — that is a nice big screen when you're working at your desk, and a truly portable Mac for when you're out and about. 17" isn't that big a screen when you really want the space, and it's a fair lump of a thing to lug around when you're mobile. They're my thoughts anyway.

I went with the very 15" MBP you mention, and upgraded it to an SSD, 8 GB RAM, and anti-glare screen. Man, it feels snappy! So far I couldn't be happier. And when I'm at work I plug into an old 30" Matte Cinema Display.

4. elsandor thread starter macrumors newbie

Was leaning that way myself too, hearing it serves you well makes me more sure that I was right. Suppose I will do exactly the same as you, with the difference that I have a 27 inch ACD ;)

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Snap - I got the same, just bought the twelve south stand to 'pimp' it up a little

6. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Well you know what they say about great minds. :) I'm sure you'll notice a very nice speed bump over your MBA. Enjoy!

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Stick with your first options. I wouldn't get a 17" in your position.