Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsquared

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I'm looking to purchase a new camcorder. I am overwhelmed with what is out there. I do not know the first thing about editing, so I'm thinking I would like a miniDV so that I can have the tapes as masters. I would like to spend no more that $500. Any suggestions on brands? I have a imac Intel Core Duo running 10.4.11. I will be filming mostly sports and family stuff and eventually I would like to edit and make movies.

Thanks for your advice!!

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I would also suggest the 320, but the older 300 had a light/flash, which can be handy. What I really would suggest is if you can find one in your price range the pv-gs500 or the older pv-gs250.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
More than $500, but Canon just released the HV30, which is an update to the older HV20.

It's around $750 or so, but you'll be getting an INCREDIBLE camera for that price. I would recommend shooting all your footage in Standard Definition.

If in the future, you decide you want High Definition footage, then switch the setting to HDV (which it probably is by default). SD footage will be easier for your computer to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.