Purchasing a new headset

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by horace528, Jan 28, 2014.

1. horace528 macrumors regular

horace528

Hello everybody.
    I'm planning to purchase a new headset for myself, since it hurts a lot when I put my on for a very long period of time.
    But first, I would want to get a headset fit for my usage. I usually use a headset for making video, and also use it for listening to a lot of Progressive House music. So, to say simply, I want a headset perfect for creative purposes and also one perfect for the audiophile. Also, the headsets need to be very comfortable.
    I did research a bit, and found the Sennhesiser HD 598 (http://bit.ly/1hI7qPU) perfect, but I think still reccomandations would be great.
    Also, would an headphone amplifier be required for better hearing? I know it isn't absolutly required, but I do know it does making hearing better.

2. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

Check out V-Moda M-100.
    I just ordered the M-80, they both have received great reviews.

Def both look sharper than the Senn's, too! :cool:

3. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Welp, I heard the earcups are made of leather. Won't it be too hot for my ears in the summer? (Live in a desert region) But everything else, the V-Mode M-100 looks awesome.

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Unless you want loud, exaggerated, boomy bass, that Sennhesiser HD598 is a great choice. I had seriously considered their HD650s, but ultimately ended up choosing the AKG 701s. To be sure, all these are audiophile quality headphones, and not cheap, but they give you a beautiful natural sound that never becomes irritating, and they are extremely comfortable to wear as well.

A dedicated headphone amplifier can definitely improve the sound quality, but now you're getting up into the stratosphere, price-wise.

Whatever you end up buying, get a unit with large cups that fit over your ears, rather than on your ears. Any headphones --no matter how softly padded-- that put pressure on your ears, will become uncomfortable and tiresome within a short amount of time. Good Luck!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How noisy is the environment? I personally like closed headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, instead of the open one mentioned

Open will produce better quality sound, but noise in the environment can affect what you hear.

6. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

It won't be that noisy, as I'm just planning to use it inside. I have separate earbuds for outside usage.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

There are so many headphones out there and types of headphones. This can be a problem on several fronts -

comfort for long wear usage (such as audio editing and studio work)
    accuracy (some are bass biased for pop music play)
    open and closed style with open having usually a larger stage
    frequency response range
    cost
    etc.

I might suggest you check out Head-fi.org site along with some other audio oriented sites. With no dis-respect, items like V-Moda 100 or 80 are great for typical music use but are a poor option for real studio and audio editing work as they are very coloured and bass biased.

If you are sincere about having quality for this type of work you mention, you wont find names like V-Moda, Beats, Bose and the like in your short list.

Hope you find what feels good on your head, delivers a near flat response and all within your budget.

8. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

Quite true, I've returned more than one set recently. I may well keep my Sony MDR7510's for editing at home, but wanted something smaller, lighter for field recording and music on the go, hence the V- Moda's. Have to admit I haven't received them yet, so probably shouldn't have recommended them to the OP, but to lump them with Beats I'm sure would be inaccurate.

9. Akaba macrumors newbie

Any idea if there will be other people in the room or close next to you, like in public transportation or on an airplane?
    With a closed set, you will hear the music, with an open set, the other people in the room will also hear the music, and have the impression that you really play it very loud, whereas you are just having a "normal" volume; that's at least my experience when switching between AKG550 and AKG702.

When being alone, I prefer the open ones; however, if you use such ones in a public space, you could easily be a nuisance to the others, whereas you don't want to be that at all. Well, that's just a thought.

10. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I totally understand your dislike for what appeared to be lumping in of the V-Moda and Beats. What I should have said is that a short list simply doesn't include many popular models/makers because they don't have by intent a flat response. We are in total agreement that the V-Moda outshines the Beats in almost every way (other than sandbag heavy bass). I like the V-Moda 100 as a pop music and rock solution. In fact I'll go as far to say if I had to choose again between my on ear Momentum and the 100, I would take the V-Moda (because it is far more comfortable to wear and the sound is decent enough).