Purchasing a new MacBook Pro. A little confused?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xemi, May 24, 2010.

1. Xemi macrumors newbie

Ok so within the next couple of weeks I'm intending on buying one of the new 15" MBPs (The one with the i7 to be precise) but I'm a little confused as to what AppleCare actually gives me?

The Apple website isn't exactly easy to understand on this subject but a friend who bought an MBP last year suggested I purchase it. So what at this date does AppleCare actually entitle me to? The reason I ask is because all the other threads I can find on this site are from a few years back and I'm not sure if policies have changed.

Secondly I read on an old thread that AppleCare is FREE when bought from the HE store. Is this still true? (Not bothered about the uplift for £58 because I live 10 minute walk from an Apple store).

And finally, I called in the store a few weeks back to ask if the discount that is available on the HE store is available in store and they said yes as long as I have a valid Cardiff University student card (Which I do) so I was wondering if any of you know, if the AppleCare is free when bought from the HE store will it also be free if purchased in the retail store when receiving the student discount?

Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Your Mac is covered for 1 year with 90 days tech support.
    AppleCare adds 2 more years of coverage giving you a total of 3 years of coverage. It also increases your 90 days tech support to 3 years tech support.

No idea on the cost although I can't see Apple giving you free AppleCare.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

U.K. is different than U.S.

4. Xemi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention I'm questioning it based on UK :)

5. Xemi thread starter macrumors newbie

After extensive searching the Apple website found this:

"Mac. Made for education.
    A Mac gives you the tools you need to succeed, whatever your chosen subject. Choose the perfect Mac at the Apple Store for Education and you’ll benefit from up to 15% off the price of a new Mac, up to 10% off Apple software, an extended three-year warranty and one-year AppleCare telephone support.*"

So from that I understand that basically I would get the 3 year warranty of AppleCare but only 1 year telephone which tbh isn't that bad since its free :)

6. stampax macrumors member

Is that UK or USA? i asked a store recently in the UK and they said no free apple care - but heavily discounted.

7. Xemi thread starter macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/browse/campaigns/education_pricing/university/

The paragraph I quoted is on there (first paragraph under title "Mac. Made for education.").

The reason I started looking for it being free was because earlier I was on HE store and when checking the cost of AppleCare when selecting the MBP the cost of £290(or what ever it was) no longer appeared and was just replaced by a "EMEA CC-HE contract uplift upgrade" for £58