Purchasing a New Mic For Home Radio Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by sochrisash, Mar 20, 2011.

1. sochrisash macrumors member

Oct 5, 2009
    Hey there,

I'm replacing my current mic an AKG D5, because I would like a condenser mic.

Just want some advice?

Two mics I've looked at and liked are the MXL 900 and the Audio Technica AT2035.

I have a budget of £150

Any suggestions?
  2. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    My latest mic purchase is the RODE NT1-A and I love it, gives alot of high end and is very very quiet.

I've also heard good things about the Bluebird

...but I don't think you can go wrong w/ the Blue THX which is USB. Simple to use and almost certainly is good enough for an online radio presentation (which is going to be compressed anyways.
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    what led you to this desire?
  4. UnReel ATX macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I personally have the MXL 990 and am MORE than happy with it. If you haven't already, look on musicians friend, they have fantastic prices, and quick shipping. I bought mine to record a podcast with a friend of mine, however we both got entirely too busy with finals, and then he moved out of town, so that project was unfortunately abandoned after only a few episodes. The MXL mic's are great for radio shows/podcasting. They replicate sound amazingly well, especially for the price. and being a condenser mic, they have a little bit of a richer sound to them. HIGHLY recommend the MXL.