Purchasing a new phone & unlocking??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Minuteman3, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Minuteman3 macrumors member

Minuteman3

I have a client who would like to get an iPhone. They are already AT&T customers and plan to stay that way. They have no need for "jail breaking" to install 3rd party apps.

But ....

They are planning a fairly lengthy trip to Africa and would like to be able to use a local SIM vs roaming with AT&T. No kidding!!

I explained about the whole 3.1 and can't unlock scenario.

But, I was wondering ... if they purchased the now "base" iPhone 3G for $99, (not a 3GS) which would no doubt come with 3.1 on it, could that be downgraded and then unlocked?

If it can ... I am familiar with the process. But, I don't want to advise them to buy something and then find out it's not a workable solution for them.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The current 3Gs are not unlockable. Its better they buy a used, unlocked 3G phone.

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

To answer your question, if you buy a 3G with 3.1, then no, it has a baseband that cannot be unlocked at the moment.

If you can get one on older firmware, you will be able to unlock it with ultrasn0w.

4. Minuteman3 thread starter macrumors member

Minuteman3

Darn, I was hoping to be able to recommend a "new" one, with a warranty, etc.

Sure wish AT&T/Apple were not such jerks about "unlocking" your device to use overseas!!

Thanks for the information.

Ken

(iPhone 3G on T-Mo!!:cool:)