Purchasing a Temporary 4K Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by realph, Apr 29, 2014.

1. realph macrumors regular

I'm not as kept up with displays, panels and refresh rates as some of you fine folk on here so was wondering if you could help me out...

I'm thinking about purchasing this Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor on Amazon and wanted some advice on whether it would a monitor worthy of accompanying my nMP.

Link here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJS6PCC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sick of playing the waiting game with Apple, and if they announce a 4K display at WWDC, then I'll sell or return this but I need something temporary that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It looks like I'd have to connect this via the DisplayPort to get a 60Hz refresh rate, which I'm fine with. I spend most of my time in Photoshop, is this display good enough, I'm coming off the back of an old 24" ACD?

I realise I'll need to upgrade to the 10.9.3 beta if I don't want tiny windows and UI. Again, will this screen work out of the box with 10.9.3.

Just want a bit of help or advice before I jump into purchasing one of these displays. Thanks in advance!

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'm in the same boat and bought the Dell UP2414q and am pretty happy with it as much as I hate having a non-Apple monitor.

3. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Be aware, it's a TN panel. A few reviews commented on color shifts...that's not what you want with photo work (even in a "temporary" monitor).
    In fanboy terms, it's not worthy of your nMP. :)

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Wait until WWDC in one month to see the details about 10.9.3 dates, any new ATD units....etc.

5. realph thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think we'll see a new Thunderbolt Display or do you think it's wishful thinking?

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I think it is worth waiting at least one more month. If no good ATD and/or 4k monitor story at WWDC, move on.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It's wishful thinking but in some ways it makes sense. Opening up Mavericks 10.9.3 testing to the public is a big deal and it happens to be the update that adds full Retina support.

I can see a scenario where Apple wants to roll out a perfect 10.9.3 with Retina support for WWDC where they will release a Retina ACD. They touted this ability in the new Mac Pro last year. I can't believe they are going to leave this high end market to others indefinitely.

I'm hoping it's a 27" 5120x2880 display. Not sure even the new Mac Pro will be able to drive such a large display. Maybe dual Thunderbolt inputs?

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion only but...

... I wouldn't make the move to 4k for AT LEAST six months or more.

The technology is as of yet "too new", the choices in displays too slim, and the prices for what -is- available are too high compared to what they'll be only six months from now.

Do you really need it -that badly-...?

9. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I purchased the Samsung monitor and received it yesterday. Started a new thread about it. Will keep posting updates there as time permits.

10. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I think most people here would wait a little longer for 4k if Apple updated their Thunderbolt display. When you start looking at prices for monitors above 1080p the 4k options aren't that much more.

11. realph thread starter macrumors regular

Mind posting a link to the thread. I'd like to read your impressions on it.

12. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Retina Thunderbolt Display and Retina MBA, yes. The WWDC logo is a giveaway.

14. realph thread starter macrumors regular

Pixels?

15. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I think the best thing apple could do at this point is drop it's veil of secrecy just a bit, put out a few hints now and again of what might be around the corner.
    It would probably only intensify the brand loyalty by stopping this exact situation guessing game.

I hope that apple does release a new display, it's long over due and I'm just simply not going to settle for much else. I'm aiming high up the scale for a professional grade calibrated color screen. If apple included out of the box calibration, with Gsync, tb2 and some other unknown useful feature and then they could release an updated version of Aperture to boost some numbers.

I can dream...