iPhone X Purchasing a used iPhone X how would I check for water damage

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
I am going to purchase a used iPhone X off Kijiji how would I know if there was any water damage?

I already asked to get the IMEI to make sure it wasn't blacklisted and also wanted to make sure that it had the extended AppleCare warranty as stated in their ad.

The 1 person provided that to me and it does have AppleCare and isn't blacklisted, the other person said he would provide it to me in person he doesn't want to post it so I won't be able to check that until I go and look at it.

1 phone is 3 months old and the other one is about 6 months old, both 64gb space black apparently excellent shape prices are between 800 - 900 which seems resonable as to purchase new without a contract is around 1200.00 plus the cost of AppleCare.

I just want to make sure I don't get a phone with water damage as I don't think that is covered by AppleCare.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
It was handy to be able to look into the charge port for the either square of it went red.

Also most likely if there is water damage it wouldn’t work....I’d guess, I heard the rice thing was but very successful

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
okay thanks everyone I am going to look at it tomorrow this one is 3 months old and has the AppleCare he said he upgraded to the XS Max.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Water damage is covered by Apple care as long as you pay the deductible/ service fee or whatever they call it.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Be careful buying used phones, just because today the IMEI is clean doesn’t mean next week it still will be. I’ve heard of incidents where phones suddenly after weeks or months are suddenly blacklisted. I try to get as much personal information from the buyer and if they are not willing to share then I don’t take the risk on that phone.

Reactions: wakinghour

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Be careful buying used phones, just because today the IMEI is clean doesn’t mean next week it still will be.
The only way that would happen is if the phone was not paid off, which in fact you can verify through the carrier and/or if the seller were to file that the phone is stolen, which the carrier then locks. One suggestion you didn’t make, is have the seller put it in writing that the phone is paid off, including the IMEI/Serial with signatures/dates and that should all be conducted at the carrier store where the phone is being activated.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
The only way that would happen is if the phone was not paid off, which in fact you can verify through the carrier and/or if the seller were to file that the phone is stolen, which the carrier then locks. One suggestion you didn’t make, is have the seller put it in writing that the phone is paid off, including the IMEI/Serial with signatures/dates and that should all be conducted at the carrier store where the phone is being activated.
That’s a good suggestion but it’s not the only way it can happen. In some countries people can sell phones not paid for, completely legally, then report the phone lost or stolen. Another risk is phones stolen directly from the carriers or stores.

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions I have sold used phones before but wasn’t sure about buying a used one.

I will get it in writing that the phone is paid off including serial number and IMEI.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions I have sold used phones before but wasn’t sure about buying a used one.

I will get it in writing that the phone is paid off including serial number and IMEI.
And get as much personal information like the original sales receipt and their ID. Some people won’t want to provide that, that’s fine. Buy a phone where you can protect yourself.

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
The owner of the phone said he has the applecare plus on the phone if I buy it can he cancel it or is it attached to the phone?

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for all the help and what to check for, I did purchase the X from him checked the IMEI and the AppleCare before I purchased from him, had him disable find my phone, sign out of his account and do a reset, put my sim card in to make sure everything worked and it did.

The phone is in mint shape, no scratches, no dings, he had a screen protector and an OtterBox case on it which I asked him to remove so I could look at the phone asked if there was any water damage he said no and I couldn't really tell so I took his word on it. I am really happy with the purchase saved about 800.00 if I bought the same thing new this one was purchased in Aug. 2018 then he upgraded to the XS Max.

noobinator

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Thanks for all the help and what to check for, I did purchase the X from him checked the IMEI and the AppleCare before I purchased from him, had him disable find my phone, sign out of his account and do a reset, put my sim card in to make sure everything worked and it did.

The phone is in mint shape, no scratches, no dings, he had a screen protector and an OtterBox case on it which I asked him to remove so I could look at the phone asked if there was any water damage he said no and I couldn't really tell so I took his word on it. I am really happy with the purchase saved about 800.00 if I bought the same thing new this one was purchased in Aug. 2018 then he upgraded to the XS Max.
Saved about $800?

Was it stolen?

Reactions: crf8

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Saved about $800?

Was it stolen?
Lol no it wasn't I am in Canada the cost of the 64 gb iPhone X is 1275.00 plus taxes and AppleCare which will bring it to about 1415.00 plus the cost of AppleCare which I think is around 200.00 plus tax, he purchased it under a plan so he may have paid around 800 when he got it and I bought it from him for 800.00, I checked and it's not blacklisted or stolen.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017

Main concern is if the original owner reports the device as stolen days or weeks later, in order to receive a new iPhone. Obviously, the device won't appear to be blacklisted when you make the purchase.

Reactions: crf8 and Breezygirl

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Main concern is if the original owner reports the device as stolen days or weeks later, in order to receive a new iPhone. Obviously, the device won't appear to be blacklisted when you make the purchase.
The phone was purchased outright through apple so no contract associated with it.

jabbok

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Not to be pessimistic but do you have proof of this?
I have already registered with apple also I have all the documentation of the conversation with the guy online.

We met at Best Buy I spoke with the cell provider she said it’s his contact so he still has to pay the contract for the phone line but the phone is clear.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Any
The phone was purchased outright through apple so no contract associated with it.
Any phone can be reported lost or stolen at any time whether bought on contract or not. Seems you got a lot of information on the seller so chances are less likely of it happening.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
Can’t the seller still report the phone as stolen after it’s paid off? People are such *******s.