Purchasing a used iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R3fr3sh, Nov 19, 2014.

1. R3fr3sh, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

R3fr3sh macrumors member

I intend on purchasing a used iPhone 6+ but I need some clarity. I've done lots of research but I'd like to be sure. Even Apple insists I buy it from them, but I would like to save as much money as I can. Coming from an iPhone 4. I need an upgrade. My provider will not let me upgrade because I have a grandfathered plan. (Rogers Canada)

Yes after checking the IMEI for blacklist is the first step
    If someone could answer my question marks that would be simply awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scenario(s)

1a) purchasing a LOCKED iPhone
    - the previous owner sells, then quickly calls and report this stolen
    - resulting in blacklisting?

1b) purchasing a LOCKED iPhone
    - previous owner fully pays OFF contract, then sells the phone
    - prevrious owner then reports it stolen
    ? - resulting in blacklisting? or is it Unlocked for good on any other carrier?

1c) purchasing a LOCKED iPhone then unlocking it through websites/3rd party (without payed off contract)
    ?- resulting in blacklisting?
    ?- this cannot be blacklisted because its unlocked?

2) purchasing an Apple UNLOCKED iPhone (factory unlocked right)?
    ?- its factory unlocked and cannot be blacklisted? EVER?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Use Swappa or Craigslist. Make sure the ESN/IMEI is clean and Find My iPhone (activation lock) is off. Make them reset the phone in front of you to prove they know the device password to avoid getting ripped off and make the carrier tell you it is clean for activation (Swappa does this for you but I would verify).

3. R3fr3sh thread starter macrumors member

sorry i forgot to mention, i know the obvious. I want to know past that of the transaction.

If anyone could answer those questions i listed on the first post. It would be awesome

4. 617aircav Suspended

Op there are no guarantees unless you buy a phone that comes with the original sales receipt. Everything else involves a small risk. Keep in mind, most people are honest and the dishonest ones are in the minority. I've bought close to a hundred used phones in thee years with only one bad experience. Also, never spend any amount you can't afford to loose. For me it's $300 max.

5. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

I have bought both of my iphones, 3G in 2012, and 4S in 2014 from close friends I really trust. I would try and look if any of your friends are selling iphones but I don't even know a single person with a 6+, let alone willing to sell one.

6. R3fr3sh thread starter macrumors member

well i just purchased an iPhone, and you guys are right. I really needed to trust people and find the most honest ones, usually thats at a higher price. Found a buyer willing to walk to the store he purchased it from, and then to an unlocking store.

he gave me the original receipt and now life is good:cool:

7. 617aircav Suspended

That's good, hope you matched the serial number on the receipt with the phone.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I would be very careful purchasing a used 6 Plus due to them being potentially tied to a contract. I have heard of people buying iPhone's on ebay and then after a couple of months the phone has been locked by the carrier because the previous owner has defaulted on their bill. Just be very careful and many of the things you have listed in the OP are potential problems. If it means you are only saving £100 or so, it might be worth just buying a new one. Good luck in your choice. :)