Purchasing a warranty. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karilynn, Jun 16, 2018.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

I bought a 15" MBP 2017 model from Best Buy last week. I'm aware of the keyboard issue and I want to get an extended warranty for it.

My question being, has anybody purchased/has any experience with the Best Buy geek squad protection plan? I know I have 60 days to get the AppleCare+ 3 year coverage, which is probably what I will end up doing, but I like the idea of having 5 years covered with Best Buy. However, that does me no good if their service is poo.

I only have a few more days to add the geek squad one if that is the route I end up taking, so I thought I'd see if anybody has purchased it and if it's any good for the keyboard issues, replacement, etc.

Thanks!

2. 537635 macrumors 6502a

Stay away from 3rd party extended warranties. They are quite tricky sometimes (don't cover batteries, etc.).

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I would go with Applecare directly from Apple.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Agree with "AppleCare" as mentioned above.

Either AppleCare+ (which you must buy within 60 days of purchase), or "regular" AppleCare (can be bought within 1 year of purchase).

5. jerryk macrumors 601

Another vote for Applecare+ from Apple. They will deal with a failure unit anywhere in the world. Don't delay too much, you only can buy AC+ during the first 60 days of ownership.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Actually, "regular" AppleCare can no longer be purchased in the US; it is AppleCare + only. If one doesn't buy it within the 60 days time period, then they are out of luck altogether. Other countries still offer "regular" AppleCare, though.....but for how long?

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Clix wrote:
    "Actually, "regular" AppleCare can no longer be purchased in the US; it is AppleCare + only"

Can't "regular" (non-"plus") AppleCare still be purchased by calling Apple directly?

8. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Member "Fishrrman" is correct. According to this Apple KB article and FAQ regular Apple Care can still be purchased in the US. The difference is that Apple Care + is automatically registered while regular Apple Care may or may not be depending on where you purchased it from.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I don't believe so. I'm not sure when Apple discontinued "regular" AppleCare in the US, but it has been for a while now.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2018 ---
    Thanks for this link! Interesting....

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, you can still buy plain old fashioned AppleCare in the US.

For an AppleTV.

Link: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S3165LL/A/applecare-protection-plan-for-apple-tv

No idea about other devices -- if someone can get info from Apple, do post up.