Purchasing a warranty. Advice needed.

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I bought a 15" MBP 2017 model from Best Buy last week. I'm aware of the keyboard issue and I want to get an extended warranty for it.

My question being, has anybody purchased/has any experience with the Best Buy geek squad protection plan? I know I have 60 days to get the AppleCare+ 3 year coverage, which is probably what I will end up doing, but I like the idea of having 5 years covered with Best Buy. However, that does me no good if their service is poo.

I only have a few more days to add the geek squad one if that is the route I end up taking, so I thought I'd see if anybody has purchased it and if it's any good for the keyboard issues, replacement, etc.

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with "AppleCare" as mentioned above.

Either AppleCare+ (which you must buy within 60 days of purchase), or "regular" AppleCare (can be bought within 1 year of purchase).

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Another vote for Applecare+ from Apple. They will deal with a failure unit anywhere in the world. Don't delay too much, you only can buy AC+ during the first 60 days of ownership.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Agree with "AppleCare" as mentioned above.

Either AppleCare+ (which you must buy within 60 days of purchase), or "regular" AppleCare (can be bought within 1 year of purchase).
Actually, "regular" AppleCare can no longer be purchased in the US; it is AppleCare + only. If one doesn't buy it within the 60 days time period, then they are out of luck altogether. Other countries still offer "regular" AppleCare, though.....but for how long?

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
Clix wrote:
"Actually, "regular" AppleCare can no longer be purchased in the US; it is AppleCare + only"

Can't "regular" (non-"plus") AppleCare still be purchased by calling Apple directly?

Reactions: chscag

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Member "Fishrrman" is correct. According to this Apple KB article and FAQ regular Apple Care can still be purchased in the US. The difference is that Apple Care + is automatically registered while regular Apple Care may or may not be depending on where you purchased it from.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Clix wrote:
"Actually, "regular" AppleCare can no longer be purchased in the US; it is AppleCare + only"

Can't "regular" (non-"plus") AppleCare still be purchased by calling Apple directly?
I don't believe so. I'm not sure when Apple discontinued "regular" AppleCare in the US, but it has been for a while now.
[doublepost=1529258638][/doublepost]
Member "Fishrrman" is correct. According to this Apple KB article and FAQ regular Apple Care can still be purchased in the US. The difference is that Apple Care + is automatically registered while regular Apple Care may or may not be depending on where you purchased it from.
Thanks for this link! Interesting....

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, you can still buy plain old fashioned AppleCare in the US.

For an AppleTV.

Link: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S3165LL/A/applecare-protection-plan-for-apple-tv

No idea about other devices -- if someone can get info from Apple, do post up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.