Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rudagger, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Rudagger macrumors newbie

Hello! I've been lurking these forums for a while now, but, am really looking for some advice.

I currently edit wedding videos which can run up to multiple hours in length, with colour correction and other effects. I run Premire Pro CS6 on a 15'' 2012 Macbook Pro with a 2.3Gz i7, 8GB Ram and a Nvidia Geforce 650m.

I'm planning on picking up a desktop for a bit more oomph when rendering out these videos, and also in part to have a clean slate where I can switch to a proper subscription to Creative Cloud.

I've been reading quite a bit about the Mac Pros, and I've been concerned about the Firepro cards. I've read that there's some issues with the GPU's + OpenCL in Adobe, and that some still have to resort to using software rendering. Is this the case? Is there any rumours running around of Mac Pro refreshes that might carry Nvidia chips? Similarly, the 5K iMac while sexy, is also running AMD graphics chips and in general I'm a bit wary of how those mobile chips would handle that screen.

However, as much as I really hate the Window's OS, I must ask; is there a compelling reason to stick with Mac when using Adobe? Is the ability to buy a well future proofed Windows PC a better choice at this point? If that is the case, are there any reputable Canadian sites that have simple build-to-order customization options ala Apple (as well as decent warranty/general tech support)? I have no interest in building a PC myself, since I'm really looking for ease of us and stability. I do occasionally game, so, that as well is an added plus.

I still have time to think all this over, as my timeline for the new computer wouldn't be until spring (around when the wedding rush starts again). But, I would appreciate any thoughts.

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be the first of many on this particular forum to say that you could run a 2009-2012 Mac Pro, with nvidia cards, and a windows partition as well as a mac os if you like as well.

Otherwise, HP is making boxes that fill the void nicely, as well as an all-in-one workstation that would do the job. HP is grabbing editor market share these days.

All 3 options get you more flexibility on the GPU front.

If you went old mac pro, as you will see here there are lots of ways to improve it, from a PCI-e SSD (same as in the new Mac Pro with +1,000 mb/s read/writes), CPU upgrades, storage, etc. Not hard, but closer along the lines of building a PC. Your price of entry (the base machine) is pretty low these days, however). Its the path I'm on.