Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobbytomorow, Nov 10, 2007.

1. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I have come across a local guy who is willing to sell me his G4 imac for $120. He was having hardware issues and just had a mac shop install a new power supply, that ended up not solving his issues and he wants to sell it rather than put more money into it.

I am a pc guy, but I've always loved the ilamp design so I wouldn't mind buying it from him if I knew I could fix it myself on the cheap. I build pc's so I like to think I'm pretty savvy electronically but pc's are easy and a lot cheaper to build and repair than mac (so I hear).

Anyway, these are his symptoms,

Sounds to me like a gpu heat issue but having very little experience with mac hardware I can't be certain. I'm thinking I could open it up and possible replace the stock fan\fans, maybe do some modding with some heatsinks and use some good thermal compound like AS5.

All in all it could be a fun project IF ITS CHEAP Anybody have any experience with similar symptoms and have any advice?

Here are the specs just in case:

800MHz
    512mb RAM
    60gb HDD
    Super Drive
    apple keyboard and mouse

Thanks for your time:)

2. l33r0y macrumors 6502

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Expensive!

The parts are either expensive or inaccessible! I have a similar spec machine sitting right infront of me and from simply looking at its difficult to access.

I recently tried something similar with an iBook G4 and found from practice and otehr peoples advice that Macs are notoriously difficult to access! (logic board etc...) possible except the Mac Pro and Powermac G5!

Sorry to let you down as it may sound like a fun project but in my opinion it will bring you more worries that fun!

After I had kitted out my iBook the hard drive decided to fail so $120 I have decided to give up! Ha

Thats all I know really!

Hope this helps!

4. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Thanks for the input people. I guess I'll pass this it up then.

Again, thanks:)

5. bobbytomorow thread starter macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

lol i know this is going to sound redundant but he went down to $100 even I mean What would you do?

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

The general consenus is this: The computer won't be worth the $$ that you put into it.

HOWEVER, if you are buying this as a nice piece fo nostalgia/side project I'd say go for it, but be congnisant of the costs.

Ps: this thread belongs in the 'buyings tips' forum.