Purchasing an AT&T SIM by a non-resident

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Paul in Japan, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Paul in Japan macrumors newbie

I am an American living in Japan. I was thinking of buying an iPad 3G here and was hoping I might be able to use it in the US to read email etc. when I am traveling there. As I have no interest in paying international roaming rates (before any one asks -- the iPad in Japan is not sim locked, but overseas iPads will not work in Japan) -- can I buy a AT&T sim for my ipad. I don't have a US credit card. I read on a Canadian bulletin board that some people there had purchased iPads by use of (US) itunes gift cards which allow you to register without a credit card (you just have to enter an address). Does anyone have the lowdown on this? It would seem that the iPad is idea for international travel, but it would a deep disappointment if it were not possible to buy a SIM for it.

Another idea I had was to rent a MyFi or equivalent while in the US (e.g. a mobile WiFi access point that uses the cell network for communications). e.g. can I rent something like this for a week or two to get around the SIM problem? Thanks for any help in finding a solution.

2. lascott macrumors member