Purchasing an iMac - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SteveAbootman, May 12, 2008.

1. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Long time lurker, so i figure i should start out by saying how much reading these forums has helped me with my decision to finally jump into the world of Apple. Having been a windows user for a long time, i must say i am excited to give apple a shot. So thank you to all the great posters here.

With that said, i have 2 questions that will assist me in figuring out if the high end model is the right one for me. First, is it reasonable to assume that the graphics card in the 2.8 will become outdated in the next few years? I want to keep the iMac around for as long as i can, and if after a few years the ATI card simply isnt up to par for everyday use in Photoshop, watching HD videos, and the occasional game, i will go with the 8800 GS.

Second is about the processor. In regards to the 3ghz one, this will naturally emit more heat as it operates. Seeing how everything is packed together so closely in the casing, would this cause any foreseeable problems in regards to the internal temperatures becoming too hot for long periods of time as a result of normal use?

I will be headed to the Apple store in a few days, so the sooner i can get some feedback, the better. And also, price is a non-factor in my decision as i have been saving for quite some time.

Thanks guys!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The HD2600 should be Ok for a few years at least. Its not a great card but for occasional gaming its fine. In most other tasks, it actually outperforms the 8800GS.

From everything we have seen here, the 3GHz model is actually quite cool.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Any components of a computer are going to be outdated in a few years, but that doesn't mean they aren't useable. The actual computer itself isn't going to slow down at all, but it is going to seem relatively slower compared to other, more modern computers. If you continue to run the same version of Photoshop, play the same games, and watch the same HD videos, it's always going to be able to handle it.

You'll be fine :)

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Just to reinforce what was already said the machine will be out of date in a few years. It happens. You'll still be able to do what you were doing with it though. You won't be able to have the settings to your games set to max but if you really wanted to do that you'd probably be building your own pc. Heat also shouldn't be an issue unless you're in the middle of a desert.

5. SteveAbootman thread starter macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i will be ponying up the extra cash to get the high end seeing how the increase in speed wont have an effect on the temp of the computer. Plus, the extra HD space and vid card will be a nice touch as well.

Now i cant wait till i get this thing home!!:D

6. shadowbox macrumors newbie

The only reason to get the higher end Video card is if you play a lot of games. For most Core Video functions the stock Radeon is a much better choice. Check out the following tests. Look at the last test.

http://barefeats.com/imp01.html

7. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

You said price is no issue, so go all out, especially if you plan to keep it a long time. (and purchase a means for backup whether it be a time capsule or a WD MyBook)

As for the video card, I can't speak to what you'll use it for so it's hard to say, but I think you'll be fine. My last iMac lasted me exactly three years (until it died last month) and I never had a complaint about the video card until it's dieing day. Watching videos, using photoshop, and general day-to-day use was it's purpose and performed all (simultaneously) perfect.

Welcome aboard!