Purchasing an Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by migdaddy, May 17, 2012.

1. migdaddy, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

migdaddy macrumors 6502

Im really considering buying myself the new iPad. Probably gonna go with the 32 gb wifi, not the wifi + cellular. Is everyone happy with theirs? I really only use my 15" macbook pro (circa 2006) to go on the internet, listen to music, and store files and pictures. Ill be doing the same on the Ipad. But If I only get the Wifi, will I be able to go on Instagram and text people?

Any tips or suggestions for a first time buyer?

2. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

really my question is:

Should I be the new iPad or get a Macbook air?

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can't really text people with an iPad at all regardless of cell connectivity. You can use iMessage though on either type to talk to users with any iOS device.

4. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

I miss mine. I sold it because I deemed it useless.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it replaces the MBA but it does have it's place.

Once I get internet installed in my apartment, I'm going to ditch this 4G air card they gave me, and go out and buy a new iPad. I'm sure I'll use my MBA much less (only reason I bought it was because you can't use a USB air card with it(iPad))

I say yes. And if you can, get it from best buy. No re-stocking fee, and you have 30 days to return it if you feel you need to.

5. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Best Buy vs Apple store?

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

There are apps that let you text, like TextFree, but it assigns you a new phone #. I'm personally fine having a voice number and a text number, but not everyone is.

If those are the main things you want to do, I'd say iPad over MBA. Although, depends on what you mean by "store files" - what kind of files? How much? You might want to look into one of the wireless external hard drives that work with the iPad.

7. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

Well if you MUST buy it at the apple store so the tricks in the mall can see how rich you are :roll eyes:

Same product. Same style box. Same price. (Computer though, different price range. At least vs Apple.com)

I paid $1310 with tax for my MBA. Apple.com (no apple store where I live) has them listed for $1,299 + tax vs my local best buy @ $1,209 + tax

But best buy is all over. No pressure sales/returns. Good return policy. And it's not like best buy gets 2nd hand iPads with defects vs the oh so perfect :apple: store.. right?

8. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

probably gonna go with an iPad. I just hate having to carry around this big macbook pro all the time. It would be so nice to be able to just lounge and couch and use it instead. They are flash enabled unlike the iPhones, correct? Reason I ask this is because im living in an apartment right now (temporarily) and we dont have many cable channels, so I have to live stream all the NBA and NHL playoff games and UFC. That wouldnt be an issue with the Ipad correct?

9. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

It does not do flash. It does everything the iPhone does.

10. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn that sucks. The apps that enable flash are so laggy its sometimes not worth it. Any other way to get around this on the Ipad?

11. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

There are several browsers for the iPad that do flash. Puffin, photon, and iswifter are some of the more popular ones. Or you can use an app like splash top to control your desktop and use your desktop browser from your iPad.

12. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you personally used any of those apps to run flash? Because I use Photon on my iPhone to watch streams on NBA games sometimes when I need to and its so laggy, its almost unbearable to watch. I want to get an iPad very badly, but the flash thing is almost making it a no go.

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It probably depends on the site you're on and your connection. I've used Puffin to watch streaming video on project free tv over wifi with no lags.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Are you sure there aren't any apps that give you access to those things?

15. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldnt think there would be....unless you know of any.

NBA, NHL, and most importantly UFC. I just watch them on firstrowsports.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I thought maybe you were subscribed to things like NBA Pass or whatever they call it, in which case I think you could watch it on the iPad. Probably not from FirstRowSports, however.

17. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

No im not. I still want to buy an iPad. Well see.