Purchasing an iPhone 6 + for a Friend in Asia, Help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacbookFano, Nov 21, 2014.

1. MacbookFano macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on here before but am looking to for some assistance. I'm going to be gifting an iPhone 6 + to a friend of mine who lives most of the year in Myanmar. He also travels a fair amount to other parts of Asia, but on occasion comes to the USA/France/Germany.

I want to pay full price for an iPhone 6 + from an Apple Store (or purchase online). I've been told the Sprint version of the phone would likely be best for him since he primarily resides in Asia, and would that model phone would be most compatible w/ the variety of cellular bands out there. However, I've also heard the Sprint is notorious for keeping their phones "locked" domestically, and I'm also unclear on their international locking policy. I intend to take the phone directly to him, and do not want to to interface with any US cellular companies if possible w/ the aim of him being able to just pop in his Myanmar SIM and be good to go. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

2. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

From what I have read the Verizon model is the Iphone that comes unlocked and ready to use with any SIM.

3. MacbookFano thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious if I purchase an iPhone 6 + (Sprint Model) from the Apple Store at full retail price, if it will be unlocked for international use immediately after purchase. Would I need to even speak w/ anyone at Sprint? Anyone know?

I don't care if it is "locked" to a specific US carrier (IE Sprint).

4. wxman2003 Suspended

If the phone is locked to Sprint, then your friend will not be able to use it in Europe. The only bands that will work internationally on the Sprint phone are 38, 39, 40, 41. So if those are the bands used in Myanmar then he should have no problem. Otherwise, the phone will be of no use.

5. MacbookFano thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I have to go with the T-Mobile unlocked version sold through the Apple Website.