Purchasing an iPhone in Canada.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macdaddy1991, May 27, 2010.

1. macdaddy1991 macrumors member

okay so i'm just kind of curious can you goto the apple store in canada and purchase an iPhone there like you do in the states? If you can do they set you up with whatever provider you want right there? I ask this because on the canada apple store website there is no way to buy it from apple. It says to goto your cellphone provider to get one.
    I'm just wondering because I'll be getting the new iphone and wanted to head to the apple store for the launch :p

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yes you can get it from any of the 14 Apple Stores in Canada. They can set you up with a new account on Rogers, Fido, Bell, Virgin or Telus. They can't handle upgrades though, only new activations.

3. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors member

okay sick. the apple website just made it seem you had to goto a carrier to get one. well maybe i'll be seeing some of you at the apple store in the eaton's center come launch :)

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'm upgrading so you wont see me at the Apple Store. Even if I could upgrade, I don't trust the Apple employees handling my plan before they f**k up and remove my credits and monthly discounts.

5. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I'll be getting mine from the carrier. Closest apple store to me is the one in Yorkdale Mall. I'm too lazy to subway it to Eaton's Centre as well.

Closest Fido/Wireless Wave is 2 minutes away walking. Easy decision!

6. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Noit to hijack the thread but in a few weeks I will be going to Canada for a year IT placement.

I currently have a 3G and can unlock from O2 easily enough. Do I have many options for getting a SIM out there for a data connection?

I'm not fussed on calling and texting as much.

Not finding a lot of information on what SIM to get (if any) and I can't use any support systems as they only allow for existing customers.:(

Thanks for any help :)

7. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors member

i know rogers and bell offer sims for sure.
    just look into there websites

8. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

You should have no problem getting the phone to work with a Rogers/Bell/Telus/Fido sim card. But honestly to avoid any confusion, you're better off calling when you get here, or actually visiting one of those places and explaining your situation and discussing options.

But simply, yes it will work to put a sim in your phone and use it.

9. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Thanks, I do worry that I won't get much of a deal seeing how I haven't bought the phone from one of them so they won't benefit from the subsdising etc.

10. profets macrumors 68040

It would probably be best to visit one of the stores when you get here..