Purchasing an iPhone soon - 2G vs 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Love, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Well, I'm finally doing it. I'm gonna jump on and go for an iPhone. I'm very excited.

I'm still a little caught on which version to get. The 3G seems to have a hell of a lot of quality control issues and I don't particularly like that. I don't really need 3G. I prefer the look of the 2G, and I don't have to sign a contract. However, I find that the 3G has a better ergonomic for typing, and with the 2G i have the hassle of getting it from eBay. I'd really like to get one as this could save me some money.

Thanks Tom

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If you really want the first-gen iPhone, go for it. It's going to cost you more up-front, but the plan is $10 less :)p). I too like the look of the first-gen iPhone, but I don't hate the look of the 3G (quite the opposite) and people say it's easier to hold/feels better in your hand than the first-gen. I too am excited to get mine :) March for me.

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm very happy with my 3G phone. I've had it since the first weekend and, *knock-on-wood*, no issues. I like the option of having 3G, though I usually leave it off if I don't need it to conserve battery life. Edge is fine for most things. I also like having GPS.

4. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

the thing is I live in Canada and Fido lets me use any plan I choose. The plan for me is $40. my existing plan is $55 so it's a bit of a savings. I'm still under contract, but even with the fee I can still save money. $72 per year, and then 180 per year thereafter. :)

The thing that really gets me about the 3G is the three year contract. I'd prefer to go with a month to month Fido Agreement (contract) but they force you in to a three year FA. It's a little annoying.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

My iPhone 3G is new (got it last month) and it's fine, not even a small light leak.

Apple made small improvements recently so the case didnt crack etc.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I would get the 3g, if a new contract doesn't create too much hassle because 3g iphone is better in pretty much every way. Antenna reception of all types is better and 3g when available is way better than edge.

7. BarelakedNadies macrumors newbie

Hi. First post although i'm long time lurker.

I'm going to be purchasing an iPhone soon (definitely 3G). I'm just wondering if I should wait until after Macworld in January or not. It's a pain. I don't want to get one now then see updates early-ish next year. But I also don't want to be stuck with my crappy contract/coverage any longer. Bit stumped.

Does anyone more in the know have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

8. deadsouls macrumors regular

highly doubt you're going to see any notable updates to the iphone 3g besides possibly increased hard drive space.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There are threads on this topic already. Suffice it to say from all logical standpoints there will not be a new iPhone in 2009, chances are not even a 32GB model.