Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mingenyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
can u purchase it and just not activate it there because i know u can at apple b/c u have to activate it on itunes but will at&t let u just walk out with the iphone?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope they make you activate as far as I know. At least they said I had to.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
can u purchase it and just not activate it there because i know u can at apple b/c u have to activate it on itunes but will at&t let u just walk out with the iphone?

It seems like they are suppose to let you do this, but they usually don't.

They won't activate it, but they may want to do a credit check while in the store, before you leave.

You could try to argue with them on it, but with the lack of information these people so often have you probably won' get very far.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
Say its a gift for someone else, thats what i did. Just asked for an email address, i think, and then swiped my card, and went.

mingenyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
alright thanks and 1 more thing it was stated iphones had to be paid with with a card right no cash thanks guys happy holidays

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, it has to be on a credit card of some sort, but i've heard that some stores, you have to get a nice person, will let you put some of the iPhone, even as low as $20, on a credit card, and the rest on a gift card or something like that. Not sure, but thats what i've heard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.