Purchasing AW in USA for UK use

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Blujelly, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Hi All,

This probable will sound like a silly question, but if I was to purchase an AW and Apple Care over in the states, but it use and location will be used over here in the UK, IF for what ever reason I wanted to give it back I assume I could within a UK Store?

Same applies to if something happens with the watch I can go to a UK store and get the work covered.

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Thanks all

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi there Blujelly,

AppleCare is a global warranty, so once you've bought AppleCare on a machine, you can get it serviced anywhere.

Hope this helps!

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Thanks for the response, do you know if the same would apply if I wanted to refund the AW back to a UK store?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly I'm not sure about refunds. I think once it's registered you can't get your money back. Don't take that as gospel though, I'd rather another poster confirmed :oops:

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

haha no I agree, I'm not saying I would I never have with an Apple product, but seeing the reviews etc can make you think it was more of a fail safe just in case I did want to return it.

6. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

I once bought an iPad cover in the U.S. which turned out to be faulty. When I tried to return it to a UK store the sales assistant told me that they didn't have to replace the item, as the U.S. and UK arms of Apple are separate companies. They did replace it out of good will, but that had a significantly lower sticker price than an Apple Watch...

I would ask the question of Apple UK before you make your expensive purchase.

7. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I might be best going into a Apple Store and see what they say.

If they can't the it's a case of buying it over here. Or getting it from USA then selling over here and loose out in the full price I guess.

Thanks all!

8. psycho93 macrumors member

psycho93

I purchased my Watch in Belfast Apple Store but was unable to get AppleCare for it as the Watch isn't for sale in my own country!! Ireland. Rang Apple support and got same response :(

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

For the last 5 years, I've bought my Apple products from the US and brought them home to the UK without issue.

The only time I've ever had a problem was with my iPad 3 when the backlight died. I took it to my local Apple Store who advised that if I wanted to get it fixed, it would cost £249 as they would need to get one from the US because mine was the Verizon CDMA model which I deliberately bought so I could tether while on holiday.

They do try to be a little awkward sometimes saying 'oh you bought it in the US...' until you tell them that Apple Care is world wide and that at the end of the day they're all made in the same factory regardless of destination.

I've saved a fortune buying my Apple products from the US. This last trip I picked up a refurb iPad Air 2, refurb MacBook Air 13" new retina MacBook and a black Apple Sports Watch with black band.

Note: if you want to get a refurb, go to the Apple Store first and buy a gift card for the amount you're going to spend (including tax), then order it for in store pick up.

10. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

As long as the Apple Care is global then I'd be happy to purchase the AW in the states.