Purchasing Creative Suite 6, access on multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by twiggy0, Aug 30, 2012.

1. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

2 computers... in Adobe's terms one "primary" and one "backup"... if you install it on more than one you will be asked to de-activate it on one of the machines and activate the license on the new one.

If you subscribe to the creative cloud instead of buying boxed software you can have one machine be a mac and the other a PC...

3. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

How complicated is this? I just have to make sure to have the key at both locations (or in my email), and I could just deactivate CS6 on my laptop from my work desktop, and then activate it on my work desktop? Or would I have to make sure to deactivate it from my laptop before leaving my house if I don't decide to bring my laptop, when going to my work desktop which is at my office? (Which would become a huge nuisance)

4. 98ps190 macrumors newbie

I believe you can install it on as many computers as you'd like, you can only have two active at any one time.

5. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Two or one? From what I understood from lucidmedia's post, it's only one.

6. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

One desktop and one laptop I believe. At least that's how mine is set up. I activated it on both with no issues. No need to deactivate when I switch between the 2 machines.

7. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you purchase the digital version? Or you got the actual physical box?

8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

One primary computer and one backup computer (like your desktop at work and your laptop at home).

You must be the primary user at both computers (you can't install your one copy on two different computers that have primarily different users).

You aren't supposed to use both computers at the same time - but in reality, it doesn't matter.

Both of these computers can be activated at one time. If you want to use a different computer (other than the two already activated), you must deactivate one of your computers in order to activate a different one.

To deactivate a computer, go into Photoshop (or your other favorite Adobe app) and choose Help and then Deactivate.

9. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, very informative. This works with the digital copy right?

10. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Yes - this is the same for a purchased digital copy or a physical copy.

11. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

I had a disk. if the digital version is a disk image( dmg file) I don't see how it would be an issue. Just copy that file to your other computer using a thumb drive or whatever. You will be solid. if in doubt call adobe. they will be super on it and it will give you the confidence you want when making the purchase.

12. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Hey remember if you or anyone you have a valid student ID the price on the CS suite will me about 80% less.
    If you want to upgrade from student license to full, I think its a slightly reduced price from the non upgrade MSRP.
    The standard upgrade path with a full license is basically the same price as a new student license.

14. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you look at the link in the original post, you'll notice I'd only be paying $220 for the Creative Suite. Thank you though!

15. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

16. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

For indesign, illustrator, and photoshop... I can't complain.

17. quickbrownfox macrumors newbie

Be aware that you can only deactivate/activate a certain number of times (from memory it is 20 occasions) before the software gets 'locked' by Adobe and you have to contact them to request further deactivate/activate cycles. I know this because I used to have three Macs and was regularly deactivating on one so that I could have CS activated on the other two.