Purchasing during tax free weekend

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Atemporal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Atemporal macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Got a question that maybe some of you will know the answer to. I do not live in a state participating in tax free weekend, but I will be in a state that does participate in it during that weekend.

Would it be possible to arrange a personal pickup during the weekend? I know the Apple store charges you when you place your order, but I was wondering if sales tax would be waived if you set it to ship/pick up at an Apple store during the tax free holiday, or if you shipped it to a friend's house who lives in a participating state.

I know various online vendors offer MBAs with no tax, but I can't apply my student discount and won't be eligible for the iTunes gift card either. Additionally, I can't grab the specific customization (i5/8/256) that I'm looking for.

Thanks.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Rules generally vary state by state, I can only speak to MA.

Sales tax is charged at the time of sale, not at the time of delivery. So the only way to avoid the sales tax during the tax holiday is to actually make the purchase on that day.

I bought my MBA during last year's tax holiday, and there was a line around the store. Lot's of people plan to take advantage of this so plan ahead. The line wasn't too long, about 30-minutes of waiting for me before I was set up with a sales person.

You can get the education pricing in the store at the time of purchase, so this shouldn't stop you.

3. Atemporal thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that student discounts can be applied in store, except no store near me carries an MBA with 256/8. They only carry the ultimate i7/512/8. That's why I was wondering about a possible personal pickup option.

When I went to the Apple store in person, the girl there said that she was unsure how it would work, and that I should call back a week before the holiday. I still plan on calling, but I figured I would ask here if anyone else had done what I done to gain further insight.