Purchasing first MB Pro...questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redshft, Jan 14, 2009.

1. redshft macrumors member

I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie(which I am to Macs). I am in the market to buy my first MB Pro. I have found a few that I am looking at, some fairly new, some old. I have found a 17'' Macbook Pro with the 2.33Ghz processor, 160Gb HD and 2GB RAM. It already has FCP and Adobe production premium installed on it. It also has Bootcamp with Windows Vista X64 installed, which I am very unfamilar with.

Does Bootcamp compromise the performance of the machine?

The processor, RAM, and hard drive are upgradable correct? Can I also upgrade the video card?

I was really looking for a new, slightly used 2nd gen 15.4'' MBP, is this a good alternative?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope.

WRONG, right, right (it's hard like tanj). WRONG.

3. MidwestStuck macrumors member

You can't upgrade the processor and video card on the MBP. You can add up to 4GB of RAM on the pre-October 08 MBP line by yourself. You can add more on the newer MBPs. The hard drive is not supposed to be user-upgradeable on the pre-October line, but some have managed to do so. That'll definitely void the warranty, though. As for 17" vs 15", it really is up to you. Unless you really want a 17", I'd say stick with the 15". It'll be much easier to carry around, too.

4. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

If you are going to buy that model, make sure the person has all the discs so if you need to wipe it, you can put those programs back on. If they don't it is either stolen or running illegal software.

Bootcamp will not effect the performance. It is merely a partition in your hard drive when in OSX

Ram and Hard drive are upgradable just google ifixit. They have step by step pictures and clear instructions on how to achieve this.

As for your graphics card. You cannot upgrade this, the CPU and GPU are part of the logic board that is all soldered.

Hope this helps

5. redshft thread starter macrumors member

Thanks y'all!

I think this has the ATI Radeon X1600, this card should be adequate enough for video editing and after effects along with a bit of gaming yea?

Also, is $1600 a good deal? Almost sounds too good with the software. Anything I should look out for?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

$1,600 for a MacBook Pro with the X1600 is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Those are worth about $1,000 now. Heck, you can get a Penryn, 2.4GHz, 8600M for less than that at Macmall.com!

Unless that Final Cut Studio is real, and unless that Final Cut Studio is Final Cut Studio 2 and not the original.

7. redshft thread starter macrumors member

It is listed with the new version of Final Cut Studio 2, with ver. 6 of FCP AND Adobe CS4 Master Collection.

Here is a list of the software that I have:
    - Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Soundtrack Pro, etc)
    - Adobe CS4 Master Collection (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, + every other Adobe App)
    - MS Office 2004
    - Roxio Toast Titanium
    - Boot Camp with Windows Vista X64

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Totally pirated for that price. Just buy an even NEWER computer from Macmall.com for LESS.

Matte 2.4GHz, 8600M, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD
    Glossy of the same

You'll appreciate the faster computer.

9. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

No Freakin Way

Do you want to get ripped off? Listen to the advice and take it. Buy new. I know Amazon sells brand new Penryn 15" for $1649 and of course macmall. Don't be foolish.

10. redshft thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate it everyone. I sent him an email inquiring about it, no reply yet, I don't expect one until tomorrow. I will ask him if he still has the CDs for the programs and if he can provide a picture. If so, I may at least check it out in person.

Thanks for the links. I forgot MacMall had some good deals.

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

If it's eBay, don't forget to report him for pirated software (they have a category just for not having media included). I'm so sick of 9/10 used macs on eBay including "pre-installed" software.

12. johata3 macrumors regular

Just don't buy laptops from websites like ebay or craigslist in general. possible chances that they might be stolen ones.

13. redshft thread starter macrumors member

I never got a reply back, I'm just gonna drop it. I'm thinking about a new or refurbished MB134LL/A.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. redshft thread starter macrumors member

He finally replied back, but I've lost interest now. I have no proof he has pirated software, so I won't worry about it.

I did however just make a payment for a brand new MB134LL/A, hopefully it will be here next week!