Purchasing Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by phillystudent, Jul 28, 2012.

1. phillystudent macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Needed some advice on the purchase of a used G5.

Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 (PowerMac 11.2)
    2 GB DDR2 SDRAM (8 RAM Slots)
    149 GB Maxtor HDD (not sure of speed)
    Dual DVI Output Graphics Card (GeForce 6600)
    Acceptable condition case (some dings on the bottom)

All set and done, 100$. Worth the plunge?

I'm planning on keeping it as a side machine to use maybe as a media machine or for mundane daily tasks. I have access to some software from the non-Intel era, and my primary machine that I take around with me is a mid-2011 1.8 dual-core i7 MBA w/ 256 GB SSD and 4 GB DDR3.

This machine just looked like a steal at the price, but I'm not sure how relevant the PPC architecture can be in today's day and age, and even if the 100 would be worth dropping on it. For the record, I have an external monitor and all the peripherals.

Thanks!

2. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

That looks to be the dual core G5 with the PCI-e graphics card. Personally, if I were to purchase a PMG5, that is the one I would go for.

As for relevance of PPC hardware, as long as you understand the limitations and set your expectations accordingly, you should be just fine.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

The machine you described is the fastest safe PMG5 to be released. All other faster models (including the quads) used problematic LCS.

It's a great buy. Snatch it! Haha. I got my single core 1.8GHz for $115. You're getting a pretty speedy machine for less.

You should keep in mind that the latest OS X release PowerPCs can run is 10.5 Leopard, and should plan accordingly when looking for software. When looking at apps, if requirements only mention Intel processors, or a version of OS X higher than 10.5.8, it will not work.

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Be sure to upgrade the ram to 4gbs at least if you plan on running leopard

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Actually, Leopard is a memory hog. You are best with at least a min of 4GB, but better if you have at least 8GB as Leopard allocates 1-1.5GB of that for main operation of the OS.

Once again, as all others have pointed out. So long as your needs don't require intel based software, you should be fine. $100.00 is a nice price for the 2nd most powerful G5 mac, though I owned the Quad and never had problems with the LCS. But LCS is not guaranteed these days.

6. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I dont know that 8gb is really needed. I run 3gb and have never had a problem. 4gb makes sense though.

7. phillystudent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the machine, and it seems to be working great!

I'm planning on replacing the HDD's and adding more RAM as well, once I save up for a bit (I am a student, after all). :)

I want to put one of the hybrid Seagate 750GB drives in for the primary and use this extra 7200 250GBs that I have lying around for the secondary. I also have a WD 3TB external for all my media anyways, so I'm going to add that to the mix as well.

As for memory, I saw the choices at OWC and at Crucial. Amazon seems to be priced all right as well (4GB for 44USD). Anyone have any other recommendations from their personal experience?

Thanks again for the help!

8. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Unlike the others recommendations, I'm only using 2GB RAM in my machine as of right now and it seems fine to me. Will get more RAM in the future, but I'm not dying from a 'lack' of RAM.

9. TacticalDesire, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

For ram, I always say 2gb per core. 4gb should be enough, especially since it's going to be a secondary machine. But if you can, you could max it out at 16gb just because it's fun.

10. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I do agree with this. Haha. I've maxed out RAM on all of my machines but my G5. I haven't gotten the chance to get more RAM for my G5 yet.

I also have a single core machine, so my 2GB is in line with your saying. :cool:

11. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It's always worked for me :)

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

13. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

This also works.

14. zen.state, Jul 28, 2012

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

So the OP can turn a $100 Mac into a $600 one instead when his current MacBook only has 4GB and is their main machine? They clearly get by on 4 so 8 is simply a giant waste of money.

Just throwing a bunch of money into RAM you don't need and won't use isn't going to do anything but put a big dent in someone's finances. When you're going to take the time to give someone advice you should put some thought into it so it actually helps the OP.

I will never advise anyone to buy a G5 but I also will never tell them to spend hundreds on something they don't need.

15. Nameci, Jul 28, 2012

Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Oh come on zen, don't be too overly sensitive. See the smiley at the end?

He can pack RAM on it as much as he can afford. It makes no sense pushing somebody do things that we believe is good for us. What might be good for us will not benefit them.

16. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Plus, Leopard alone takes up close to 2GB as it is a ram hungry OS. For instance, in Activity Monitor, say one has only 4GB of physical memory. Leopard's main functions and daemons take up close to 2GB of that so the end result is close to 2GB free. If he had say 6 or 8GB, then that would be considered a safety net.

But, you are right. Why should he waste money where he does not have to? Just that Leopard, unlike Tiger is more resource hungry and takes up more memory. Just now on my PowerBook G4 with 2GB, I have only 1.4 remaining.

17. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

This is news to me. I thought Leopard needed around 1 GB to work properly. I have a faulty RAM-slot in my PBG4 so I have no choice but to run on 1 GB of RAM. I thought about installing Tiger but the computer arrived with Leopard and is doing just fine so far. Sometimes it's on the sluggish side of things but I didn't suspect the RAM for that... I'm with zen.state on this one by the way, there is a point when more RAM just isn't necessary.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'd just like to point out that I have a 1.8 GHz Leopard running Power Mac G5 with only 512MB of RAM. It runs perfectly fine. I have about 350GB on it though, so I'd advise to just stick in another hard drive and RAID it just for the virtual memory. Cheaper than buying the RAM sticks, and you have more than enough of that IMO.

19. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I was just mentioning that in case one runs a lot of applications in the background. That can contribute to memory drain also. When I had my G5 Quad, 4GB was adequate for most things, but shortly after several hours of using my system, the memory went down to about 1.5-2Gb remaining. Thats why I was suggesting as well as Nameci to the OP more memory to compensate for such a decrease. But, if the OP does not use many applications at once, then 4GB is fine.

Just wanted to clarify my position on this matter. Have you considered maybe getting the last model PowerBook 15 or 17 inch hi-res? Those from what I recall did not have lower memory ram slot failures, at least from what I read.

20. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I have not! The biggest reason for me purchasing the PowerBook was the very low price and I doubt I'll have such luck twice. :)

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Lie. It's just that the more you have the more the OS will use. Tons of people here are running Leopard on machines with 2gb or less.

22. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I can tell you that I run Leopard on 2GB perfectly fine. And speaking of 2GB, that is the minimum requirement for current OS X releases like Lion and Mountain Lion. So I'd say that Leopard users with 2GB are getting along just fine.

23. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

This thread is a good example of why forums should make people pass a knowledge/aptitude test before being allowed to give advice. Ignorance is the enemy of those in need of help.

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Yes this is a forum, and you would always take advices with a grain of salt.

25. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Well, it happens on my powerbook. Out of 2GB, I have 960MB free.