Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I've heard mixed reports on this, so I'd like to get some clarification. I currently have fan on my AT&T account, and I am an iPhone 2G user so I'm getting no discounts, however I still have fan on my account. Can I purchase a phone from an Apple store without removing the fan, or do I need to remove the fan or buy from an AT&T store?

If I can't buy from an Apple store, that is entirely stupid. AT&T will be out of stock for months!

-Steve

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Call up AT&T. Do NOT just request that they remove the FAN. Make sure that you don't have an IRU or BMG code associated with the account, as any of those indicators will end up preventing Apple from accessing your account.

Those have cause a number of people grief, because you don't see them in your account profile online.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If I can't buy from an Apple store, that is entirely stupid. AT&T will be out of stock for months!
Why AT&T won't let Apple access FAN accounts doesn't make any sense to me, but the sales process at Apple will fail if you have the disc. on your AT&T account.

You can either wait for AT&T to get them in stock and do the whole transaction at the AT&T store, or

Call 611, drop the FAN, make the purchase at Apple, and then visit an AT&T store with photo ID and proof of employment to have the FAN put back on.

sjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Why AT&T won't let Apple access FAN accounts doesn't make any sense to me, but the sales process at Apple will fail if you have the disc. on your AT&T account.

You can either wait for AT&T to get them in stock and do the whole transaction at the AT&T store, or

Call 611, drop the FAN, make the purchase at Apple, and then visit an AT&T store with photo ID and proof of employment to have the FAN put back on.

Any idea how long it takes to drop the FAN?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Wow this has been covered up and down, it needs to have a sticky!

The fan removal is instant, at least it was for me. Then I went home, went online and added it right back. You should call 611 from your ATT phone and have it removed before you go into the store.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
In my case they dropped the FAN and I still got an IRU error. I eventually had to leave emptyhanded. Went to an AT&T corporate store today and they said there is nothing on my account that should prevent me from purchasing from Apple (I have gift cards). Haven't tried it yet but I'll report back... definitely didn't seem instant though.

iP2

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Wow this has been covered up and down, it needs to have a sticky!

The fan removal is instant, at least it was for me. Then I went home, went online and added it right back. You should call 611 from your ATT phone and have it removed before you go into the store.

Only problem is your discount will take 2 billing cycles to take into effect again after you re-add it. Call ATT if you want this confirmed. Hence many people (myself included) do not want to get the FAN removed in the first place and stuck with going/waiting to ATT.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Only problem is your discount will take 2 billing cycles to take into effect again after you re-add it. Call ATT if you want this confirmed. Hence many people (myself included) do not want to get the FAN removed in the first place and stuck with going/waiting to ATT.

They say that but that is just to cover their ass. I called today after adding mine yesterday and they told me that my discount was back active on my account.

iP2

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
They say that but that is just to cover their ass. I called today after adding mine yesterday and they told me that my discount was back active on my account.

Oh its active immediately...but it won't apply for 2 billing cycles. When you re-add the FAN, its considered a new discount. I recall reading this on the contract or on ATT's website (both elude me at the moment) that FANs take 2 billing cycles. Was even told by Business Care when I called (of course taken w/ a grain of salt). Maybe ATT will let this slide due to the iPhone release (though I wouldn't hold my breath!).

But I'm not taking any chances with ATT where I leave money on the table for no other reason than lack of patience. Report back on your first 3G bill...let us know if your FAN discount applied right away. If so, great. You just never know with ATT. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.