Purchasing iPhone at full retail price. Does Carrier matter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teamjaycub, Sep 30, 2015.

1. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I'm currently on an AT&T plan in the middle of a 2 year contract, but I was able to reserve online at the Apple store a TMobile 6s Plus 64GB. Would Apple sell it to me for full price even if I'm not with Tmobile? And would the Phone work on AT&T?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yes I am using a T-Mo 6S+ on ATT and it works perfectly!

I purchased mine through Apple via Preorder and I have no T-Mo account.

Just trade SIM cards (nano SIM) and you are good to go.

3. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

The T-Mobile version of the iPhone is indeed the "unlocked GSM" model. In otherwords, you wouldn't exactly have to be on a carrier in order to buy it.

However, the AT&T version is different than the standard "unlocked GSM" version, slightly. The AT&T version includes Band 30, which if what AT&T will be rolling out as their means of LTE delivery. That being said, it's not exactly clear when Band 30 will go live. Other than that, it's virtually the same thing.

Word of note too - if you buy the AT&T phone at full price from Apple, it will come unlocked. It just a matter of connecting it to iTunes are restoring the phone to new. You should be able to see the Unlocked Congrats screen once you do that. You'd have an unlocked Band 30 capable AT&T phone, from that point.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd get the AT&T version for the Band 30 support if you can, but any model will work. Even the Verizon or Sprint models would work, but they would not get Band 30 on AT&T. It's the same with the T-Mobile version.

If you were thinking about switching to Verizon or Sprint, I'd see if they have the Verizon model in stock, as that one is already whitelisted for CDMA networks. The AT&T and T-Mobile versions will work, but Verizon and Sprint would likely give you hassles in trying to open an account with one.

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Is the AT&T unlocked version compatible with all carriers, including Verizon.

Apple doesn't sell this model outright, how do you buy it?

6. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Based on the stats that Apple provided, the AT&T version has the same CDMA radios as Verizon and Sprint. However, as KPOM mentioned, they might give you a hard time for bringing this version of the phone to their network (they might think it's GSM only). In any case, you should still be able to use it.

The only way you can buy it is if you have or are getting new service with AT&T. They'll sell you the phone so long as they provide the registered SIM with AT&T. I've heard some people are just getting it, then cancelling their service.

7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Yes but is that in store? there is no option for that online. Full disclosure, I'm on AT&T and have been for many many years I always buy the phone outright, usually from Verizon, because I do not want a contract and I want the flexibility to jump, specifically to Verizon. AT&T service is pretty bad for me.

8. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

That's in store and online. If you're looking at the Apple App Store app or via web, you'll want to select - AT&T / Replace this phone OR Replace for another Phone / Paid in Full. I wouldn't buy directly from AT&T - though from what you say, that's not likely going to happen.