Purchasing iPhone in the middle of Billing Cycle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cpljwlusmc, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

Hey all,

I will be purchasing my iPhone 3G next Sunday, and I want to know, if I buy the phone in the middle or towards the end of my billing cycle, what will be the price? Does the $40 data plan start immediately, or do I wait to the next bidding cycle? Will I have to pay the full $40 as if I had the phone from the beginning of my billing cycle? What happens?

I'll be calling AT&T tomorrow, and if no one answers, I'll post what I know to help out.

Thanks!

2. atluten macrumors 6502

The bill will be prorated for the first month, so you'll be paying for data from the day you activate to the end of the month but it won't be the full amount.

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

So since i bought my iPhone 3G on the 30th, my prorated cost will only be 2 days?

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

They'll probably charge you the full amount on the first bill and then credit you the pro-rated amount.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

If your billing cycle restarts on the 1st, then yes...

6. TonyMil macrumors member

Try to keep the pro-rated and next month of charges in mind.
    The data plan with AT&T is now $30 a month. For poops and hahas let's say you add unlimited texting at $20 a month and your normal service is $50 (just to use a round number and ignoring taxes).

Your last bill was $50.
    Your future bill will be $30 + $20 + $50 = $100
    However, you upgraded 15 days through a 30 day billing cycle (again, just using round numbers here). This means the next bill you receive will have 30 days of charges, which we have shown to be $100, plus 15 days of prorated data & text ($30 would be $15 and $20 would be $10) giving us $25 of prorated charges on top of the $100 bill. That bill would be......$125 total.

Oh yeah, don't forget the upgrade charge of $18.

The first bill can be a shocker when you add on services this way. Just take the time to read over it line by line when it arrives and you'll save yourself a freak out.

7. cpljwlusmc thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my mom pays the bill online.

Just to let you know, I'm already an AT&T customer.

Also, my mom, dad, and I are on a family plan. We have 1500 minutes and unlimited texting, so I don't need to add any additional texting or minutes. What AT&T is doing is simply adding the data plan to my line. Also, since the line I am activating for the iPhone is the primary line, AT&T will be waving the $18 upgrade fee.

So, right now, I have service with AT&T. My parents are using their cell phones every day, but my phone is broken and all I have is the SIM card sitting in my drawer.

What I am going to do is use my dad's phone number to activate the iPhone, since his phone is the primary number on the account, he is eligible for the hardware upgrade before me. Also, he is the primary phone number on the account, so to upgrade him, there is no fee. Once we upgrade his line, we're going to take the iPhone SIM out of the iPhone and put it into my dad's phone, since that SIM is linked to his number, and then put my SIM for my phone number into the iPhone. I will then call AT&T and transfer the data plan from his phone number to my phone number.

So now my question is this: What changes will occur in the bill? Will AT&T charge me as if I had had the iPhone at the beginning of my billing cycle, will the prorate me, or even a third option?