Purchasing iPhone in the US, will it work in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Jun 10, 2010.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I plan on buying an iPhone in the US on launch day without activating it immediately. Does anybody know if I will be able to activate and use it in Canada with my carrier, or will it be locked to AT&T? I don't want to have to unlock it. Otherwise I will wait for the official Canadian release. I will be in New York on the 24th so I'm just hoping to be able to get it early, hey, who can wait?

2. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

You will have to buy it for $599/$699 and then wait for an unlock to be released. The iPhone won't work on Rogers/Fido, Bell, Telus without an unlock. I would wait the extra month for the official Canadian release.

3. ValenR macrumors member

You can't get an unlocked phone in the US without unlocking it. It will be bound to AT&T forever (til you jb/unlock).

4. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

5. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

So, all iPhones shipped to the US are locked to AT&T even before activation? Yes, I am buying my next iPhone at full price so I don't have to be locked in to a Rogers contract for another 3 years.

6. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

correct, they are locked to AT&T.

7. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Thanks for the replies, can't wait for the day Apple will sell the iPhone like the iPad.

8. Darwing macrumors 6502

Forget that I'm going to the states to get mine and unlockig it. First off it will be more expencive in Canada I don't think the carriers will sell it for 699$ Canadian plus the taxes... Forget it the unlock and jailbreak will be out this week probably or as soon as they realease os4 which will be before the launch of the iPhone 4 so it will be perfect timing :)

9. Nevasleep macrumors member

Don't you have to sign up for a 2 year contract(with AT&T)?

10. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I've been off of the iPhone JB bandwagon for a while (sold my 3GS ~4 months ago). I'm not at all suggesting that you are lying or anything, but for my own sake, I was wondering if this is just your prediction or has the Dev Team or anyone else explicitly stated this?

I am just wondering because I am in the same situation as the OP.

11. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I don't think it has been "explicitly stated", however the dev team (musclenerd) has hinted at it (via twitter):

@gurupanguji the hole exists in all 3G/3GS basebands to date
    5:56 PM Jun 6th via Twitter for iPhone in reply to gurupanguji

This makes the big assumption that the iPhone 4 baseband has the same "hole".

12. ValenR macrumors member

I'm in the same situation as you guys, but what concerns me more than the JB is the ease of buying that phone.

I read this on the Apple Store FAQs :

Source

Now I don't know if it will be easy to buy without an AT&T contract, I hope someone can clear this up.

I hope it won't be difficult at BestBuy or RadioShack or some other store.