Purchasing iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexdudman, Nov 2, 2007.

1. alexdudman macrumors member

When i walk into my local o2 store,
    will i be asked to activate and sign up for the iPhone contracts in that store or is the process like the US where you simply pick an iPhone up, take it home and sign up via iTunes?:confused:

2. l4t13 macrumors regular

I am sure it will be take home.

when they ask if you have a number that the phone will use to upgrade the contract say it is a gift and they do not have a contract yet.

att asked me that when i got mine yesterday.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it should be like the US, where you have to take it home and use iTunes to activate .... They might ask you at the store for some info, like email address and other stuff, but if you don't want to give it to them, say its a gift, and that should take care of it ...

4. m3llon macrumors newbie

I've heared that to buy an iPhone in the uk you have to have a valid creditcard registered in the uk.

Is this only so that they can check that you don't buy more than 2 iPhones?

Or will they register an o2 carrier plan to the person responsible for the creditcard?

5. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Credit or Debit card, they're doing this so there's a paper trail and they can keep tabs on how many people are purchasing iPhones for nefarious purposes, some guy could buy two in every store, unlock them and flog on e-bay making a fortune - They'd probably investigate someone who bought 10 iPhones in a day for example.

6. bumfilter macrumors regular

Their limit on two per customer is their limit and not a law, they couldn't really do anything if you had decided to buy 100 of them.

I got rid of all my credit/debit cards years ago and have a pre-pay Mastercard. I hope that's accepted or I'll be very sad.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

does it have you name on it?

8. bumfilter macrumors regular

It does yup, it's for "Electronic Use Only" but it's never been turned down anywhere I've needed to use it. It doesn't have the raised lettering of a regular debit/credit card, if that makes any difference. Think that was more for the paper over the card and swipe type of machine days!