Purchasing Laptop for college?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dragade3789, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dragade3789 macrumors newbie

I need a laptop for college. I am perusing art is a major so that is why I am look at Macs. I love playing computer games (counter strike, day of defeat, warcraft, starcraft, basically nothing too high end). I grew up with a PC my life and I love what windows has to offer. Why I want a mac is that there seem to be better programs for video editing/creating and graphics (I will buy adobe software for any kind of graphic design stuff). I have not spent a lot of time with editing/creating films but I may want to get into that.

Currently I have been looking at the macbooks and not the pros. any suggestions would be great.

For me, I dont mind (too much) to make the transition between pcs and macs (partially b/c I use the macs at my high school)

I did try to learn java and that didnt go over so well so I dont think I will never need to program on this laptop. Although I will be doing some web design (some could be more like a lot)

To note: saving money isn't my 1st goal in what I buy.

thanks in advance.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I think you'd be fine with one of the mid range macbooks or even buy one of the last generation macbooks from the refurb store if you want to save a lot of money without losing much performance

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are going to play any games, get a MacBook Pro. Plus, the MBP will remain relevant much longer than the MB.

TEG

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're into gaming the low end MBP would fit you better than a MB.

5. natharvey macrumors member

like others have said if your gonna be doing any gaming you should go to a MacBook pro. reason being it has an independent graphics card not a shared graphics card like the MacBook. also you'll get better ram and processor perfomance out of a MacBook pro which will suit all your needs from the video editing and adobe software as well as gaming