Purchasing Mac Mini advice

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tonyy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Is there any models of mini's that I need to watch out for? I plan on buying a mini on CL with the following specs:

2009 model
    Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    Upgraded from 2GB to 4GB
    120GB HDD
    Running snow leopard

Would this be a good purchase and last me for the next few years? I'm not new to Apple products but new to mini's. I sold my MacBook and ordered the new iPad so I a mini would be logical.

Or would it be outdated and too slow to handle Lion and whatever updates coming in the future? Thanks

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

If I were you I wold troll the Apple refurbs and wait for the last gen before Thunderbolt. I picked one of these up for $469, and unless you got the 2009 for like $300 I'm not sure that would be the best purchase. My 2009 2.2GHz mini fried itself out of nowhere (not that I think it was faulty or the newer ones are better). I will state the newer form factor is also nicer with no huge powerbrick and an HDMI port (plus MDP/Thunderbolt).

3. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Thanks for the input. I offered $300 for it and the guy accepted. Im just lookIng for a system that I can do heavy word processing with and the little things an iPad can't do.

4. bigfatipod macrumors member

nice job

I think $300 is a very good price. If you can spend a little more, maybe grab a small ssd or a momentus xt drive and you should have a very nice machine.

5. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Thanks, any recommendations as far as SSD drives?

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

SSDs are getting reasonably cheap these days. I've got a Crucial M4 due to their overall stability, but not the fastest (still snappy though). Sounds like a lot of folks like the OCZ Agility series (some issues, but most like it) and Mushkin has been popping up as a pretty darn fast SSD.

I'd look at those and also check reviews (and look at reviews from people that have had it more than a few weeks). From there, lots of good info in the forums here!

Oh, and congrats on the offer being accepted. That's a fair price.

7. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Thanks for the help. Just picked up the mini and it's great. Got an Apple BT keyboard and magic mouse on the way.

The Crucial M4 looks to be a good upgrade. I'd rather have stability over anything else.

8. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I have that same mini. I upgraded it with a 750GB 7200rpm HDD and 4GB of memory. I used it for 3 years with no issues. It's a great little machine, and the only reason I upgraded was I needed some better video performance. As for normal day-to-day stuff, it was great.

Enjoy the mini!