Purchasing MacBook: Online or Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, May 15, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

Hello everybody! I'm relatively new around here and to the mac world in general. I am graduating on Sunday from the University of Kansas and our campus union has a pretty decent size Apple Store inside of it.

My question might be extremely stupid but I figure its better to ask:

Is there any difference in purchasing from the store or purchasing from the online store?

I really just want to walk in and pick the thing up but I didn't know if people have had a better experience or product ordering it directly from apple.

Once again I know this is probably a pointless question but I wondered what everybody's opinion was.

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

If you are going to stick with the stock options, then I would just go to the local store.

When I bought my MacBook, I originally ordered it online. 3 days later, my order had still not been processed, so I cancelled the order and just went to the store. I had my computer in-hand within 10 minutes.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I like the in-store-experience. You can get hands on, and some advice on anything else you might need. Plus you carry everything out in those really "sweet" Apple bags. Demand a carry-out Apple Bag! :p

4. asme macrumors regular

Amazon.com

No tax, free shipping, maybe even a rebate if you're lucky.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

macmall.com

no tax, up to $40 back on shipping with rebate. Sometimes they even have deals like free printers after rebate, etc etc.

Don't go to apple and get killed on the tax.

6. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

This is new products right not refurb right?

How long does shipping usually take?

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Definitely Amazon or MacMall. I purchased my iMac and Macbook through Amazon and got $3.99 overnight shipping with a $75 rebate on the Macbook.

Tax is the deal killer in my opinion.

Then, if you wish to purchase Applecare, do it here in the Marketplace, on E-bay or on Amazon. All you need is the Applecare serial code.

8. Mistertuma macrumors newbie

9. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

The Apple store in the campus union will be selling at the education price which is less than Amazon et al sell for. Adding the local sales tax will still not approach the retail price. And you have instant gratification! Buy it at the student Apple store while you can still get the discount. :cool::apple: