purchasing macbook pro in the US of A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nathan01, Apr 19, 2010.

1. nathan01 macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    I live in Australia and as u may know everything apple over here is more expensive. My mates brother is a pilot and flies to L.A a lot. I was wondering if i get him to buy me a macbook pro 15" 2.4GH hi def screen from los angeles is there any tax on top of the price its quoted on the apple store web site? ($1,900) Also do you think they will have the high def screen laptops in stock or is it more of a build to order online only kinda thing? It wont be for about another month or so.

Thanks again for any help will be much appreciated!

sorry if this has been answered many times before (it probably has but i searched and couldn't find)

2. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

I dont know much about L.A. stores specifically but if you buy from an apple store, you will have to pay sales tax which is 9.75% in LA

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There'll be California sales tax on top of the list price.

4. Lambros macrumors regular

For some stores and some countries, when leaving you can request money back on the tax because you are not from the US of A. So, get your mate to check that if you can. Also, you might want to check how the warranty procedure works internationally. Very good question though, sorry I havent answered it :S

5. nathan01 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh crap really! hmm may as well just buy it here then i guess thanks heaps for replying and so fast too!

one other thing i was just reading in another forum that apple care is only $250 there, over here its about double that, am i right in saying that apple care is world wide? and if i buy apple care from the states it will work here in oz even if I purchase the MBP from australia?

6. nathan01 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah i forgot about the tax back thing, I used to work in a electronics store in london and used to have to do that for customers all the time...god that was annoying ha. cheers for reminding me about that!

7. stjohnswell macrumors newbie

Check out ebay for mbp applecare - it's much better value. It's international anyway, so you might as well pick it up from a value minded official reseller.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere that they don't carry the low end high-res in stores.