Purchasing MBP Through ecomelectronics.com

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickC1028, Jan 19, 2008.

1. NickC1028 macrumors member

Has anyone here actually used this site before?

https://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2106

a 2.4 MBP for 2099$ without a student discount.

This seems like a great price.

I would like feedback about this website.

Please share any thoughts, feelings...

Go!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I did some checking through amazon and the reviews for ecom were good. The few baddies they had were mostly regarding adding applecare. Just go to amazon and check out the comments on them for yourself.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I remain suspicious. That price is a developer price, and Apple doesn't care what kind of retailer you are, it will not lower its prices by nearly 20%.

Unless new mbps are on the way and this is an attempt to clear stock...did you check out the site before January?

5. NickC1028 thread starter macrumors member

where do I find the reviews for ecom on amazon?

The prices have been that low for a while.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That concerns me. Something can't be right about this. Apple is known to only give retailers a very small margin.

Prices at Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection, etc, are all within a few dollars of each other; this can't be as good as it seems. :eek:

7. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

a friend bought one from that site...

everything was great!

8. drlaz macrumors newbie

I'll definitely post the result

Bought an MBP at this price today. I wanted Applecare, so that wasn't an upsell. He mentioned their (overpriced) memory only once and I said no...not too bad.

I'm a little nervous, but saving the $400 would be useful.

I made sure to wish the order clerk Gut Shabbes, since my name doesn't make my ethnic background clear...

9. mattrickbook macrumors newbie

mattrickbook

Crap!!!...just bought macbook from them

Ordered on Friday and was asked to upgrade memory on Sunday. I declined their offer. Should arrive this Thursday if all goes to plan. After reading all the negative postings and reviews I am quite concerned. If the original box is damaged or appears to be tampered with, I am going to raise hell. :mad: I'll keep you up to date.

10. drlaz macrumors newbie

I'm using that MBP at this moment.

Appeared to be factory-sealed. I didn't check the RAM modules to be sure they're original.... but the computer is great, very responsive. Now I just have to learn programming Leopard.

11. nyodie macrumors newbie

Worst Purchasing Experience I Ever Had

These guys lied to me the entire time I worked with them. SO SLEAZY!

First come all the upgrades at too good to be true prices, then the special insurance they sell which they told me "included Apple Care" but actually has nothing to do with Apple Care. Then when I'm getting nervous they lower the price to sweeten the deal and tell me that's the only MBP left in stock and I won't be able to get another one from them for a couple weeks cause it's gonna go that day for sure (I called them back the next morning, after being pressured into ordering the computer and asked another guy if they had MBP's in stock and he said yes).

When I tried to return the product (they next day, before it even shipped), they said they COULD NOT GIVE ME A RETURN AUTHORIZATION NUMBER! I asked why and they said, "for security purposes." (What!?!)

I ended up having to put a stop-order on my credit card and change my card number as well as deal with Citibank's fraud department.

STAY AWAY!:mad:

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Let me see…

Expired SSL certificate and copyright that hasn't been updated in 2 years? I think I'll pass.