Purchasing Mobileme through Amazon

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jturn00, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jturn00 macrumors member

I signed up for the mobileme trial and am wondering do I need to buy it directly from apple or can I buy it from amazon which is cheaper.

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You can buy it from Amazon. They will send you a box containing an activation code. Go into the Account Options and click the "skip trial" button. Then when the page comes up to enter your info, click the "I have an Activation Key" button. You can then choose to enter skip the remainder of your free trial and begin your subscription or have the subscription begin at the end of your trial.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

What is Amazon's price? Always go for the cheapest price, since all you need is the activation code that is inside the box. I just got MobileMe from eBay for $32. There is absolutely no advantage tog etting it from Apple.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It was $79 when I bought it a few months ago and I thought that was a great deal. Little did I know it would drop all the way to $54.99 on Amazon by now. Pretty hard to beat.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the low prices are the result of all of the bad problems that MobileMe has had ever since its roll out. Apple had to give members at least 3 months free membership extension because it was so bad. Now the damage is done and the price has really taken a beating. I bought my .Mac family membership last year for $99 from eBay, but those same family memberships are now going for $69 or even less. There have been quite a few sales of individual memberships in the $30-$40 range on eBay.

6. jturn00 thread starter macrumors member

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got mine on eBay for $39. All you need is the activation code out of the box. They emailed the code to me and I was good to go.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I've now bought it from eBay 2 years in a row, both at great prices ($99 last year for a family membership, $32 this year for a single membership). I would never do anything else; the savings are just too great.

9. kb152 macrumors member

My renewal isn't due until January, but now that I see how cheap it is on Amazon, I'd like to take advantage of the price now. Can I renew this far in advance without any problems?

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't see why not. As far as I know it simply extends from the date of expiration.

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't know the answer to the question, though I suspect it will just add a year to your current subscription. If you're worried about it, you can always buy from Amazon and just keep the box somewhere safe until you get close to the end of your current term.

12. voodoofish macrumors regular

I wish I'd read this thread earlier! My sister just bought a new Mac, so I got her to order MobileMe with it as you get a discount when buying it with a new Mac, and then I could just use the code - but now I see it's even cheaper on Amazon.co.uk! That is on the old-style .Mac retail boxes though - do you think the codes from them would still work? I guess if they didn't I could just send them back to Amazon. What I was wondering though, is since these old boxes might not be around forever maybe I should order one now and use the code now, and will it just add the months on to when my membership will expire? I know people have suggested it will but I was just wondering if anyone had actually tried it?

13. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Got mine off Ebay for $40.00 and 25% MSN discount.

14. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

15. rje macrumors regular

I can't find it for anywhere near $35 on eBay or Amazon. What happens at the end of one year when you have to renew with Apple?

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

When you signed up for the 60 day trial you gave them your credit card number and if you do not cancel or enter a valid key prior to the end of the trial it will charge your credit card for $99.

17. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

If you do a search under ' .MAC 5.0 ', you'll find some good deals. Although, .MAC 5.0 is the old MobileMe, the subscription still works.

Also, at the end of one year, you have the option to renew with ur credit card or with another subscription card.

18. rje macrumors regular

So the renewal stays with who you purchased from and not with Apple?

19. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

No, Apple will ask for a $99 renewal fee. But as NiteWolfGTR said, you can but a new subscription card from Amazon or ebay and tack it on to your old subscription when it runs out.

I just got a helluva deal on a subscription, bought it off eBay as well. Definitely recommend looking there. I just typed "MobileMe" in the search bar.

Best of luck!

20. rje macrumors regular

First of all, the shipping fees are high. I wish one of you who bought for $35 would post a link. Secondly, why do I need a box shipped to me. If I bite the bullet and buy from Apple, I just sign up and I'm in. I also just bought a new Mac last month, so can't I get a deal from Apple, or is it too late. Does it have to be at checkout?

21. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Um, I guarantee you that shipping fees won't bring you even CLOSE to $99. In fact, many deals on eBay include free shipping.

EDIT: Best deal I can find right now for immediate purchase $45 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rkparms=algo=CRX&its=S%2BI&itu=UCI%2BSI&otn=2

22. rje macrumors regular

23. danny_w macrumors 601

They come and go. Check back every day or so. Most of the best deals are auctions, but you have to have patience and discipline. But the $45 (about $27 with 30% Microsoft cashback and 10% coupon) shown above is certainly not bad either.

24. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

25. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Dunno what you're smoking, but 60% off is a GREAT deal in my book. Um, what were you expecting, a free lunch? Sorry, grow up and realize some services are going to cost you instead of moaning over a $40 that is $60 off MSRP.

Please? I honestly think a lot of people were hoping they could pirate this lol.