Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I'm pretty dang excited right now because in a few weeks I will be getting an iMac with my tax return (should be about 2k). I just have a few questions as a virgin mac user.

I am most likely (with my student discount) getting the standard 27 incher but I was curious with Apple's new "low" pricing if it is just better to upgrade to 8Gigs with them instead of third party? I don't think I need 8 right now but I want to be prepared. I will be doing light video editing, photoshop, lots of itunes (music, videos, movies, etc) and just internet. Is this the right computer for me? Instead of babbling I will just list my questions. Thank you in advanced for all your help I love my MR crew :D:p:apple:

1. I REALLY can't decided 21.5 or 27 (Based on my media needs would 21.5 be good enough?)(Some people say its personal pref but I CANT decide)
2. Applecare: If I don't purchase it up front, I am able to purchase it before standard is over, right?
3. $180 Apple Ram Upgrad to 8GB or third party? Where/how much/kind?
4. Is there a post or a blog somewhere that might have"10 must have useful mac apps"?
5. What Apps are most important useful to YOU?
6. I also cannot decide wired or wireless keyboard and mouse. The magic mouse seems nice... how often do the batteries die? Did it take getting used to not having a number pad?
7. If I get iWork preinstalled, what happens if I ever have to wipe my computer?
8. Where does everyone get those L shaped glass desks :p
9. Will I notice a difference if I upgrade from 3.03 to 3.33?

Again, thanks. If there are similar threads, sorry, I'm just really excited. I have a G3 that I've fooled around with a little bit on tiger. I have also watched all of Apples tutorials to get a head start. Do you know of any other places to get OS X videos with hints/tips/tricks?

:D:apple::D:apple::D:apple::D:apple::D:apple: :rolleyes:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I am most likely (with my student discount) getting the standard 27 incher but I was curious with Apple's new "low" pricing if it is just better to upgrade to 8Gigs with them instead of third party?

You won't need it, I don't think. Wait and try your machine out, if it's not what you thought it would be upgrade later.

1. I REALLY can't decided 21.5 or 27 (Based on my media needs would 21.5 be good enough?)
2. Applecare: If I don't purchase it up front, I am able to purchase it before standard is over, right?
4. Is there a post or a blog somewhere that might have"10 must have useful mac apps"?
6. I also cannot decide wired or wireless keyboard and mouse. The magic mouse seems nice... how often do the batteries die? Did it take getting used to not having a number pad?
7. If I get iWork preinstalled, what happens if I ever have to wipe my computer?

1. 21.5 should be enough, but screen size is a personal choice.
2. You have one year from the date of purchase to extend AppleCare to three years.
3. See above.
4. Google it.
5. Terminal
6. Don't have a magic mouse, I use the MX Revolution. I hate not having a number pad, but am on a laptop most of the time anyways.
7. I think they give you a disk, but I can't remember. I don't have iWork on my personal machines, but I've bought some for work that had it preinstalled. Never paid much attention to it.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
7. I think they give you a disk, but I can't remember. I don't have iWork on my personal machines, but I've bought some for work that had it preinstalled. Never paid much attention to it.

Really? I wonder why it's half off preinstalled..

THANKS!

Also, I edited the post. What do you think about #9?

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I'm pretty dang excited right now because in a few weeks I will be getting an iMac with my tax return (should be about 2k). I just have a few questions as a virgin mac user.

I am most likely (with my student discount) getting the standard 27 incher but I was curious with Apple's new "low" pricing if it is just better to upgrade to 8Gigs with them instead of third party? I don't think I need 8 right now but I want to be prepared. I will be doing light video editing, photoshop, lots of itunes (music, videos, movies, etc) and just internet. Is this the right computer for me? Instead of babbling I will just list my questions. Thank you in advanced for all your help I love my MR crew :D:p:apple:

1. I REALLY can't decided 21.5 or 27 (Based on my media needs would 21.5 be good enough?)(Some people say its personal pref but I CANT decide)

Again, thanks. If there are similar threads, sorry, I'm just really excited. I have a G3 that I've fooled around with a little bit on tiger. I have also watched all of Apples tutorials to get a head start. Do you know of any other places to get OS X videos with hints/tips/tricks?

Here are my opinions:

Regarding RAM, just go with the standard, and get a cheaper upgrade kit if you need to later on. 4GB is enough for now.

You can get Applecare any time during the normal 1 yr warranty.

My fave (if a bit niche) mac apps are VMware Fusion, Ecoute, TotalFinder (alpha), NetNewsWire, Audio Hijack Pro (I use it as a systemwide EQ, makes everything sound better).

As for wired or unwired, ask yourself if wireless or number pad is more important. If you can't decide, go wireless and get the wired if you end up missing the numpad. It would be cheaper than if got the wired and then wanted wireless (waste $70 vs $50). Plus, there are more cheap wired keyboards with numpads than cheap wireless bluetooth keyboards.

Personally, I would not get iWork installed. Get the iMac without iWork, then get use Trial and see if you like it before buying it. As for 3.03 vs 3.33, you will not notice a difference. If you are going to spend money on the processor, just jump to the i5. That will be significant.

Quite frankly, I just hope you get a working, tinge free machine because Apple can only make 1 first impression on you...

OK, I'm done.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
How fast do you want it the 21 will ship in 24hrs and the 27" your looking at about 4 weeks for it to get to your door?

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
How fast do you want it the 21 will ship in 24hrs and the 27" your looking at about 4 weeks for it to get to your door?

4 weeks might not be so bad. If Apple announces iLife and iWork '10 at the Jan 27 event, they'll likely come with the new iMac. This is contrast to the fact that if the iMac came tomorrow, he wouldn't get the free upgrade...

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Personally, I would not get iWork installed. Get the iMac without iWork, then get use Trial and see if you like it before buying it. As for 3.03 vs 3.33, you will not notice a difference. If you are going to spend money on the processor, just jump to the i5. That will be significant.

Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure what to do. I have, however, heard that Office 2008 for mac SUCKS... Any experience with this?

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Last month, I bought my first Mac.

1. I was in doubt too (was afraid the 27" would be too big), but I decided for the 27" because I do a lot of photo editing. The 27" is a very nice screen! And you will used to it very fast. I can only recommend it.
5. Until now, I just use all the standard applications that came with the computer. The only extra application I have is Lightroom for photo editing.
6. I choose the wired keyboard because I think it also has the cursor keys in a better position. I think the magic mouse is just great.
7. You will get a separate disc with iWork.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

First off.. congrats, you'll love having a Mac! I bought my first one in March and would never, ever go back.

1) If you can afford it, definitely go 27"..
2) Has to be purchased within the first year, i believe.
3) Not sure, honestly.
4) Google it.. tons of opinions of that. Depends on what you're going to do on your Mac.
5) Tweetie, Ringer, Gmail Notifier, MacUpdate Desktop, Dropzone, Cover Sutra, Rivet, I love stars, Garage Sale.. i could go on. lol.
6) Batteries on the wireless keyboard last a good long while. Batteries on the Magic Mouse, not so much.. but i LOVE my Magic Mouse. Much more than even i expected to.
7) Not sure on this
8) Pretty much anywhere i'm guessing. Ikea, Office Depot, Walmart.. any furniture store.
9) Not really.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
QUESTION: If I drive to the nearest Apple Store (200 miles away:rolleyes:) and purhcase my new mac, can I take it out and test it there so I won't have to send it in for repairs if anything is wrong or will they not allow that?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
QUESTION: If I drive to the nearest Apple Store (200 miles away:rolleyes:) and purhcase my new mac, can I take it out and test it there so I won't have to send it in for repairs if anything is wrong or will they not allow that?

I'm sure that after you buy it, they won't mind you checking it out in the store, especially after explaining why you want to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.