Purchasing my first mac.

bob7up

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Canada
Hello everybody! I am purchasing my first MacBook Air (128GB/8GB/13") and was wondering if there is anything I should know? I am pretty excited for it. :p

Edit: Just ordered!

Last edited:

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Just enjoy your Mac :)

Most people are unable to do it, hope you can. They just keep nitpicking: "What's my SSD's brand? What's my display's brand? Is it the fastest? Is there a problem with the display? etc. etc."

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hello everybody! I am purchasing my first MacBook Air (128GB/8GB/13") and was wondering if there is anything I should know? I am pretty excited for it. :p
What OS are you coming from? If XP, then OS X will be very awesome, if Win 7, still kind of awesome, if Linux, OS X will seem to be lacking.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
I respectfully disagree. Mac user for about 7-9 years (I'm bad at timing) who had a super powerful windows 7 PC for the past 8 months.

Even being back on a Macbook 1,1 with 10.5.8 for the past 2 weeks, I'm in heaven. Nothing beats OSX.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I respectfully disagree. Mac user for about 7-9 years (I'm bad at timing) who had a super powerful windows 7 PC for the past 8 months.

Even being back on a Macbook 1,1 with 10.5.8 for the past 2 weeks, I'm in heaven. Nothing beats OSX.
You've never used Ubuntu before. I've used all three and Ubuntu IMO is the best OS out there.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Welcome! What sort of things do you want to know? Will you be running Windows programs on it as well? If so, do you have questions about running Windows on the Mac? There's a separate forum for that. There are also separate forums for Mountain Lion, Mac Peripherals, and other topics.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
You may want to customize the toolbar on the finder, I added some buttons like the path history.

F3 activates Exposé/Mission Copntrol
F4 activates Dashboard. I added wheater, units conversion and translation widgets

Command+Shift+3 takes screen picture.
Command+Shift+4 lets you select what to capture

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
You've never used Ubuntu before. I've used all three and Ubuntu IMO is the best OS out there.
One of my friends uses Ubuntu. She reckoned Windows XP was the last decent Windows version. She will not talk about Vista (who will?) and she finds Windows 7 too fiddly. She saw me using my Mac and she thought Ubuntu looked very similar to OSX.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
One of my friends uses Ubuntu. She reckoned Windows XP was the last decent Windows version. She will not talk about Vista (who will?) and she finds Windows 7 too fiddly. She saw me using my Mac and she thought Ubuntu looked very similar to OSX.
It does. There are even themes in Ubuntu that can make it look just like OSX.

It's really very similar to OSX, although some things are harder to do, and some things are easier to do. It just depends on what sort of user you are.

There are much better versions of Linux out now, though, with the recent Ubuntu release being a POS.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
It does. There are even themes in Ubuntu that can make it look just like OSX.

It's really very similar to OSX, although some things are harder to do, and some things are easier to do. It just depends on what sort of user you are.

There are much better versions of Linux out now, though, with the recent Ubuntu release being a POS.
I don't think she had any themes on it but she did comment on the obvious similarities. She said she wouldn't buy a Mac because she has a housemate who has one. Said housemate is really smug and annoying and is always going on about how the Mac just works and everyone else's computers are rubbish. She might have a point about PCs though :p