Purchasing my Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xc runner, Jul 2, 2009.

1. xc runner macrumors member

So I've finally decided to get a Macbook Pro 13" 2.53GHz. I was going to wait for quad core, but It will take time for them to perfect it and I really don't need that extra power. My question is where do you recommend buying it from? My choices being the Apple store or Apple website.

The website says that model ships in 7-10 business days. I'm not planning to upgrade the RAM or hard drive, but might put a bigger HD in later. I'm also not getting iWork or office on it because I'm probably putting windows 7 with office to write papers. So I was wondering if I buy it online and not customizing, if I would get it faster. You help is appreciated!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think you should buy it online because most Apple Stores don't have them in stock. It'll take a little longer for it to be shipped but buying online is your best bet.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Since you are not interested in customizing much...

I'd not overlook the refurb deals.

4. xc runner thread starter macrumors member

I did look into the refurbished. The extra battery life is a huge positive for me, because I'm a very active person. I'm on the cross country and track teams at school and do a lot of traveling, so when I'm not at a hotel I'm riding on the bus for hours upon hours. Well I could carry an extra battery I also have limited space to carry it, so to me the most sense is the newer Macbooks.

5. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I just went to my local Apple Retail store today and the high-end 13" MBP was out-of-stock. I was told that I could call the store and they could hold one for a day, but they didn't know when they would get new ones. So I could call everyday.

So yeah, it might be faster or at least more convenient to order online.

If you are planning on using the $99 rebate on a higher-end printer, you'll have more choices from the online store. My store only had 4 printers, 3 of which were Canon and the last one was the HP Premium All-in-one.

Home delivery may or may not be more convenient depending on whether you need to be home to accept it (or need to ask Fedex/UPS to hold at a facility for pickup).

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and when you get it may you enjoy it for a long time. The consensus seems to be that you should buy it online. However, I have always enjoyed buying anything electronic in an approved store; sometimes, they have exactly what you want and I rather like face to face communication in that sort of context as you can ask questions and seek further information quite easily. Moreover, while I can see why you need the extended battery of the new models, I am a big fan of refurbs.

Cheers and good luck