Purchasing new iMac- use old iMac as 2nd Display/ external HDD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by appstate, Oct 23, 2013.

1. appstate macrumors newbie

I'm going to purchase a new 27" iMac soon.

I have a 2011 iMac that I'd like to use for a second display. Besides that, can I use the HDD in the 2011 iMac as an external HDD for my new iMac?

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I think you would need to take the hard drive out of the old iMac and put it in an external enclosure in order for the new iMac to recognize it.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That will work fine - Target Display Mode is your friend.

Yes, but you cannot use it as a hard disk as well as an external monitor, at least not both at the same time. You'd need to boot into Target Disk Mode to gain access to the internal HDD, and that precludes the use of Target Display Mode.

4. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

You might be better off selling the iMac and buying and external display and external hard drive. The iMac is going to use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat to do that and as you would have to use the hard drive networked your data throughput will not be the best. Target Display Mode is an incidental feature enabled as a convenience more than anything else. What you're trying to do is recycle the machine you already have but for what you want to do with it the better solution would be to recycle it into cold hard cash first.

5. appstate thread starter macrumors newbie