Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hey all ... I'm thinking about purchasing my first iMAC. I already have the Macbook Pro but wanted a bigger desktop comp. That being said, I was first contemplating the Mac Pro but that is a bit pricey.

My question is, what are your recommendations through your experiences on the specs for the iMAC. I will be doing extensive photo and video editing using Lightroom and Final Cut. Think having the 2.8Ghz is good enough? I'm going to upgrade to the 4Gb of RAM regardless of what chip I decide to use. But wanted to see what everyone thought about the 2.8 vs the 3.06.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Hey all ... I'm thinking about purchasing my first iMAC. I already have the Macbook Pro but wanted a bigger desktop comp. That being said, I was first contemplating the Mac Pro but that is a bit pricey.

My question is, what are your recommendations through your experiences on the specs for the iMAC. I will be doing extensive photo and video editing using Lightroom and Final Cut. Think having the 2.8Ghz is good enough? I'm going to upgrade to the 4Gb of RAM regardless of what chip I decide to use. But wanted to see what everyone thought about the 2.8 vs the 3.06.

i have the 2.8 with 4gb ram and also chose the 8800gs graphics card..

it depends what you define as "extensive"? is it for home video's and personal photos? or are you making a living out of it?

if personal use, then the imac should be fine.. it will just take a bit longer to render out of fcp than a mac pro obviously..

if you can wait till jan - macworld is then and there are rumoured to be quad core desktops... but who knows...

to be honest.. if you want it now, buy it now :) (or wait for black friday at least!)

nolook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks guys ... good point on the Macworld in January. I'm in no rush to get it (other than my usual gotta-have-it-now mentality). I would be using it for personal user on video editing. Thing is, I'm using a HD video camera so rendering takes time. I think I'll wait for the new desktops to come and see how the price ranges vary. It sounds like a null point, but I dont want to spend too much right now.

Rob360

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
i have the 2.8 with 4gb ram and also chose the 8800gs graphics card..

it depends what you define as "extensive"? is it for home video's and personal photos? or are you making a living out of it?

if personal use, then the imac should be fine.. it will just take a bit longer to render out of fcp than a mac pro obviously..

if you can wait till jan - macworld is then and there are rumoured to be quad core desktops... but who knows...

to be honest.. if you want it now, buy it now :) (or wait for black friday at least!)

I'm wanting an iMac 24" 3.06 ghz too.

If anyone comes across a good Black Friday deal, please let me know!

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I know I should wait

I can't wait until January 9th so will pop down to the apple store and pick me up a 3.06 today. (With the black Friday & Student discount).

I know I should wait, as the next imac could be revolutionary.

Quad, better graphics than the 8800GT, LED (Hopefully) ...

But it's the, I must have it now, otherwise I'm gonna be really depressed all over Christmas, and can't wait to plug in my new toy, eyetv 310, too watch Free Sat HD here in the UK! WoW Christmas Eastenders in HD ! What could be better ;) Followed by Endless BBC Wild life programs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.