Purchasing new Macbook Pro Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xkam1x, Dec 15, 2014.

  1. xkam1x macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Location:
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    #1
    Hi,
    Can someone help me decide if it is worth getting MacBook Pro Retina 15 2.5GHz i7 16GB 512GB SSD with GT750M 2GB at this point? Or should I wait for new 5th generation CPU and better GPU like GTX850M if Apple decides to use it. Also what upgrades Apple is likely to do to new Macbook Pro 15 lineup?
    Thanks:):apple:
     
  2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #2
    I think you should wait until the 7th gen CPU and GPU are out.

    No one...except for Apple...knows when they'll release 5th gen rMBP's and what GPU's will be included.

    As to what "upgrades", your guess is as good (or as wild) as anyone else's guess. You might see slightly faster/larger SSD's, and then again, you might not.

    If you NEED a new rMBP now - get it. If you can wait - wait.

    FWIW, the speed increase with the 5th gen CPU and GPU won't be that noticeable, unless of course all you do is run benchmarks.
     
  3. GoingDark macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2013
    #3
    Apple is just as likely to get rid of dedicated graphics altogether as they are to upgrade the dGPU on the next generation of MacBook Pros, so if that's something you want, you're probably better off buying now.
     
  4. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #4
    I agree to a certain point. If you dont need an upgrade now I would wait. If they go big upgrade then purchase it. If not - purchase the 2014 from a authorized retailers or refurb for deep discount.
     
  5. catzilla macrumors 6502

    catzilla

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2013
    Location:
    Rhode Island
    #5
    Well the 2.3 is back down to $1999 at B&H. It is a '13 model.
     
  6. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #6
    Since you never mentioned what you actually do with a computer, I'll take a stab in the dark (because that's about all one can do with so little info) and say that you should save your money and buy an iPad.
     
  7. xkam1x thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Location:
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    #7
    That laptop would be for my dad who is mostly working with programming and graphics design software. He currently has a 2012 Macbook Air 13" but the screen is rather small to do such work with. Also when dealing with multiple high resolution images the machine slowing down.

    He saw my 2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15 and really liked it. So he is set on the 15" Retina Model. He consulted me and could think of no one better to consult with then MacRumors. My main concern was if Apple releases a new model with updated hardware within 2-3 months then it seems logical to wait but I don't know when an update is expected.
     
  8. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #8
    Look at Intel's processor roadmap and it'll give you a decent guesstimate of when new MBP's could hit. Broadwell has been delayed a few times, it was expected to hit Q4 2014 but rumours I've read have it slated for March/April or even as late a June 2015.

    In all honesty though, your dad is very unlikely to notice a performance between this generation and the next one unless he's the type to be pegging the CPU at 100%, 100% of the time. Going from the Ultra-Low Voltage MBA's CPU to a full voltage quad-core will already be night and day in the first place.
     
  9. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #9

    It is possible that Apple releases new hardware within 3 months, but it may take longer as well.

    Anyway, Broadwell is right around the corner. It won't offer much improvement in terms of performance, but battery life should be better. As for the video card, I don't know what to expect. But if your father is not into heavy graphics processing, then it will probably make little difference.
     
  10. xkam1x thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Location:
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    #10
    Thanks for all the help, I think I will go ahead with this purchase.
     

Share This Page