Purchasing New MBP: final tips/suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iYeah, Mar 24, 2010.

1. iYeah macrumors newbie

I have been browsing the forums here and have found A LOT of useful info, but I still have some questions. I'm looking at getting the mid level 15" Macbook Pro, but I noticed that you can customize each model a great deal. Mainly, I am wondering what matters the most.

-Should I go big and upgrade to the 8 GB RAM? I will be running the CS4 design suite and playing games/watching movies occasionally. Or would the additional 9600 graphics card (256 or 512) be more beneficial?

-Will I notice a huge difference between 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz? I was thinking about choosing the cheapest 15" and just upgrading the RAM and HD. And does a faster HD (5600 rpm v.s. 7200 rpm) make running these programs smoother? Basically, I'm just trying to spend my money where I need it most.

-I'm doing design, photo, and some film work. Should I go with the gloss or the matte screen?

-I've heard some rumors that another update to the MB pros is in store for the near future, think it's worth the wait? I need it for school, like this current semester lol, and don't know if it's really that big a deal. Seems like everything gets updated so frequently that it's almost pointless.

Any info would be appreciated, especially from those who are in the same field as me. Sorry for my lack of computer lingo/knowledge, but that's why I'm posting this: to get help from the experts!

-David

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Apple is piss-slow in updating their computers. The typical refresh is every 8 months, which for a computer company is terribly infrequent, especially when a simple processor speed bump and HDD storage bump constitute an upgrade.

That said, it's now been going on 10 months since they were last updated, and the last update will be substantial.

Don't give Apple your money at their now-retarded prices for technology that is going to eat it BIG TIME in terms of resale when new models are announced.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Never buy ram from Apple. It's usually cheaper to get it from a 3rd party. The install is effortless.

You'll likely not notice much speed difference going from one speed to the next but if you can afford it then 3.06 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Me, I'd go matte in a heartbeat.

Finally, wait or don't. I say don't. You could be waiting for a long time. Once you get that machine, you'll be glad you didn't wait.

4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

With the new Intel processors appearing in Apple portables, I think you should wait a few months, if you can. First, you'll get a faster computer or the option of buying what you would now, but with a discount.

I'd say that the 8GB RAM, especially from Apple is an unnecessary option. Get something basic or mid-range and upgrade the RAM, when you really need to. Today, you'd pay a stupid premium for 8GB. Try Crucial, they have a nice feature to tell you what you need, whether you are visiting their site with the computer or without. When comparing RAM prices, don't forget that you can sell whatever is in your computer, so sometimes you can have a lot of RAM for not a lot of money, if you choose the third party path. Now, all 15" MBPs come with at least 4GB, so you'd have to wait another year or two, until 8GB becomes really affordable. Then you can put your 4GB on Ebay and pay a modest fee to get the extra RAM. With CS4, 4GB should be enough. HOWEVER... CS5 is just coming out soon. Are you sure that you don't want to wait a bit?

If you really have to buy before any upgrade, then just get the basic one, that's comparable to the top 15" one. One more thing - consider the anti-glare option! If there is an Apple Store nearby, have a look there - anti-glare is a must in my view, but I work outside fairly often.